Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

Im the Op on this thread. While I did post it a while back it is awesome to see read the recommendations of you have submitted suggestions. I appreciate it a great deal. I like the idea of tape on the turret rather than the custom engraved. It makes you do the confirmation groundwork.

I just wanted to update everyone, the other day I received a private message from Mark Kenton, the President of Kenton Industries. He had read my previous post about my bad experience with his company. In his message he apologized for the way I was treated and how my knob didnt turn out correctly and offered to refund me or redo the knob at no charge. I just wanted to let everyone know and that this will definitely change my opinion of his company and clearly shows what a stand up guy Mark is.

Ovastafford, I wish I would have the same experience with them. I ordered a turret back in November and have yet to hear anything. I called numerous times and actually played phone tag once with mark, but never actually spoke with him.

The problem with getting a custom turret is not with the manufacturer it is usually the person who orders the turret. My suggestion is to forget all the computer programs. Get yourself out to the range with your rifle and the ammo you plan on using to make the custom turret.

Set up your target for your "ZERO" distance then get your rifle zeroed in on that target. Ounce that is done put your next target 100 yds farther away and aim at the center of that target and shoot a 3 to 5 shot group so you can measure how far your "GROUP" dropped from your "ZERO". Then put another target 100 yds. farther then your second target and aim at the center of that target and measure what the drop is from your "ZERO" then go another 100 yds. and do it again.

What you have done is made an ark that your bullet travels as it goes down range. This is the most important information you can give the turret manufacturer. Once he has this info he can plot his computer program by adjusting the velocity and other parts of the program to match the bullets ark and it's weight you have made your drop chart with.

This is exactly what I did and the custom turret I received a week later is dead nuts on.

Here you can read & see what I did the first time I tested it. I shoot a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs. My bullets drop like a rock, but the turret is dead on all the way out past 900 yds. :)

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Last edited:
I agree with Joseph but with one important comment added. Be sure you shoot your last group at the farthest distance you will be shooting this is VERY important since b.c. changes over distance mostly because of velocity.....Rich

If you are going to only rely on actual in the field shooting to determine your drop charts for the turret I would strongly suggest that you shoot the distances many times over multiple days, trying to pick days when there is little to no wind involved. Wind will play havoc with your elevation and can mess things up pretty seriously if you aren't careful. I personally like to compare to my field results to computer results to make sure I am getting close to where the computer thinks I should be.

Again to clarify, using field data is very important but we need to make sure there aren't changing variables in our data that we think aren't there!

I prefer guys that are shooting their data shoot a long target (600-700+) very soon after verifying their zero instead of working their way out every 100 yards. No drawback to shooting every 100 yards, but that can be filled in after a good long range sample under the same conditions as the initial zero.

It takes a while to go from 200 to 800-1000 shooting groups every 100 yards and a fresh shooter at 9 AM @ 40 degrees might not shoot the same after 3 hours, 30-40 rounds, different light, different wind, and some temp change.

The problem with getting a custom turret is not with the manufacturer it is usually the person who orders the turret. My suggestion is to forget all the computer programs. Get yourself out to the range with your rifle and the ammo you plan on using to make the custom turret.

Set up your target for your "ZERO" distance then get your rifle zeroed in on that target. Ounce that is done put your next target 100 yds farther away and aim at the center of that target and shoot a 3 to 5 shot group so you can measure how far your "GROUP" dropped from your "ZERO". Then put another target 100 yds. farther then your second target and aim at the center of that target and measure what the drop is from your "ZERO" then go another 100 yds. and do it again.

What you have done is made an ark that your bullet travels as it goes down range. This is the most important information you can give the turret manufacturer. Once he has this info he can plot his computer program by adjusting the velocity and other parts of the program to match the bullets ark and it's weight you have made your drop chart with.

This is exactly what I did and the custom turret I received a week later is dead nuts on.

Here you can read & see what I did the first time I tested it. I shoot a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs. My bullets drop like a rock, but the turret is dead on all the way out past 900 yds. :)

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Posting to find this in the future. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.