Keeping Reloads Looking GOOD!

jamaro

Hornady claims their newest case size lube will not affect primers or powder. I am learey but if you sealed the primers and put some on a rag to wipe down the outside of the ammo but not the face of the primer it would work. Excess lube is bad juju on ammo so probably a good idea to wipe off the excess with a dry rag. I would keep the ammo standing bullet up in a compartmentalized plastic box like MTM. I would only keep them for maybe two years and then shoot 'em up. Long term storage involves clean ammo, sealed plastic bags, silica gel, and a system to displace the air with a shot of nitrogen from a bottle.

Funny thing, WW II self-loading cannons had a wick that wiped oil onto the shells as they were fed into the gun tube. Didn't hurt them.

I tumble clean all the cases after sizing with a good polish (like midways, NEVER use any polish with ammonia - NEVERDULL, BRASSO etc), and handle all cases with gloves to keep corrosive perspiration and skin oils off the brass. That said, unless they are green and furry they will most likely be no problem. I like mine clean and pretty tho' funny how most of us hand loaders are that way:)

Re: tumbling loaded rounds

There is information out there that says tumble cleaning loaded rounds is a bad thing. the basis being that the vibro-tumbling may change the burning properties of the powder, either through grain fracture or by partially removing the deterrent coating powder on the grains that controls burn rate.

no first hand experience, but it does make sense.

taken directly from Sierra reloading manual V

quote:
Q: I have some loaded ammo that is pretty badly tarnished. Can I just put it in my tumbler and clean it up?

A: No. Aside from the possibility of a sharply pointed bullet striking a primer and causing a detonation, the deterrent coating may be altered which speeds up the burning rate. Most tumblers would require the ammo to be tumbled for quite some time before it was thoroughly cleaned, possibly long enough cause some breakdown of the powder or its deterrent coating. the simple answer here is. "No, don't do it".
End quote

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.