.338 rum reloads

bcain40851

hello all! i'm new to the site although i have been reading it for some time now and have really enjoyed the stories and info.

my question is this.i have a remington m700 lss 26inch barrel.i just fired some loads i worked up from info i found on internet.and they are quite a bit faster than they should be according to the info i have.

example info 250 gr hornady 95 grns.retumbo
2798fps in a 24 in barrel.max is 101 grns at
2964 fps.

my load is 250 grn sierra gameking 95 grns retumbo 3262 in 26 in barrel.96 grns was 3412 fps.

example 2 imr 4831 max load of 81.8 grns at
2770 fps.

my load imr 4831 76 grns at 2722 fps.

example 3 imr 4350 max 79.5 at 2750 fps.

my load imr 4350 77 grns at 2725 fps.my 75grn and 76 grn loads my chrono errored and i didn't get a reading.

factory core lokt 250 grn was at 2846 fps.

and there was no obvious sign of pressure.had my brother-in-law with me he has reloaded for several years and he also didn't see any real sign of to much pressure.
but was concerned because of the velocity being so high.any idea's on what is going on with this rifle?
also no sign that bullets were seated out in the lands.
any ideas and info are appreciated.
thanks
barrett

Hodgdon's 2002 manual list: 250gr with RETUMBO 101.0 MAX @2964, H4831 90.0 @2858 and H4350 79.0 @ 2707 fps from a 24" barrel.

These are listed as being MAX LOADS with Rem 9 1/2 primers, so a 26" barrel would give you about 100-200 fps.

I believe that I'm right if not someone please correct me.

This seems terribly fast, what chronograph were you using? Do you have access to another chronograph?

i have an f2 chrony.i fired the factory load first and it was 2846 fps against an advertised 2900 fps on the box.so i belive it is correct.the only sign of pressure is a possible flattening of the primer.i am using winchester wlrm primers.but they look no different from factory primers after firing.
didn't have my data sheet with me when i started shooting but went back and got it to check after we saw the speeds.we then realised something was screwy.i will check on finding another chorny to double check.

thanks
barrett

Find someone with an Oehler 35 and compare the difference in speed, you'll find your Crony brand crony will be the obvious next target to shoot at. I learned the hard way too. I had two of their models and they were always at odds with each other and the manuals too, by ALOT not just a little either. Very frustrating to say the least!!

I still remember the guy that first rented the one Crony (Alpha) I traded to the local shooting range for the Oehler 35p I now have. He rented it imeediatly after the trade and sat down next to my brother and I at the 300yd range as we were setting up the Oehler for the first time getting ready to shoot. We looked over just as he fired his first shot from his 7mm RUM, he had the crony ON the bench at the muzzle and it blew the **** thing about ten feet off the bench in front of him. We laughed our asses off over that for awhile. The guy that runs the range was right it would be wasted the first day out anyway. The only reason the Oehler was in great shape was that nobody knew how to setup and use it, so it never got rented. They're good for letting the local yocal know that his bullets are moving but beyond that they don't have much value for me. I think they waste a lot of peoples time and money, and is downright criminal. FWIW

i am going to restart from scratch on my .338
rum reloading project.i have a brand new oehler 35p chrony and some 300 grain matchkings.now i'm looking for load info again.any ideas on loads or where i can find some data.i have retumbo,imr 4350,imr4831 and
reloader22 powder on hand.all help is greatly apreciated.

thanks
barrett

For the 338 RUM Model 700 LSS I am loading for, here is the best 300 SMK load to date. PLEASE know this may be high on the pressures, but I have seen no signs of pressure in THIS rifle. In other words, work up to it.

300 SMK
92.5 gr H1000
Remington Brass
Federal 215
COL 3.675

Shooting at .4" in this rifle.
Load is a bit compressed.
2750 fps over my crappy Chrono.

Rifle is factory 700 LSS with a slimline muzzlebrake on its 26" barrel. Bedded and factory trigger set to 2.2 pounds.

Please work loads up to this load carefully.

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited by: QuietHunter ]

the only load i have tried so far is the sierra accuracy load with a sbt 250 retumbo 96.4 if i rember right.it shoots good but could have done better it was very windy that day.the only problem i have is the bolt hits my hand when i shoot it.it does not have a brake it's a sendero sf 338 rum.i tried a glove it helped so i went and got me a dirt bike glove.i think it will work great it's very padded,thanks,keith

I've too have a Remington 700 LSS in .338 RUM, and have been doing quite a bit of load testing, as well as working out the bugs in the rifle.

So far the good loads are:
250 gr. Gameking, 83.2 gr. IMR4831, 2859 fps, 9/16" pattern.
250 Gr. Gameking, 87.3 gr. WC852(s) 2920 fps, 0.75" pattern
225 gr. Hornady, 92.5 gr. WC852(s), 3092 fps, 5/8" pattern

I can get +3200 fps with the 225 grain pills, and almost 3100 fps with the 250 grain pills before I saw signs of pressure.

Right now I'm working up loads for the 225 grain Accubond.

Mark in Utah

i sent a sendero off to hart to rework it now shoots like a bench gun.pet load is VVN 560 92.1 smk 250 grain at col of 3.720.the velocity is 3100 out of a 28.5 inch barrel.the 3 shot groups are .208 at 117 yards.i use to shoot 5 shot groups then i talked to a guy at mcmillan rifles and he said 3 shot groups test the load and 5 shot test the shooter.when i shoot at 800 or a 1000 yards i do shoot 10 shot groups.the next box loaded to a col of 3.735 so i checked it with a davis sds tool i got from sinlair and they were about the same.it checks it off of the ojive{sp} of the bullet and not the tip.the bonus to using it is when you change bullets lots or weight or style you can set them all the same by the ojive {sp} reading and forget about the col,thanks,keith

Barrett Cain
There are a couple things to check with your set-up.First the battery needs to be replaced regulary even if not used as they go bad.Second you may be getting false readings if you have it too close to the bench.
Lynn

try this load a smk 250 or a sia. sbt 250 VV N 560 92.1 fed gold mag pr at a col of 3.720 its long and you may have to go shorter.it 3100 fps in my gun but it has a 28.5 inch barrel.the accuracy is un real part load and a lot of it is www.rwhart.com the work was worth every penny thanks,keith

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.