Just Venting!

Bravo 4

I am gonna do a little venting:
While I was gone my best friend since pee-wee football borrowed my Savage 7mm(for him to hunt with), my sporterized 1903 Springfield 30-06(for his girlfriend's teen son), and my cheap little .223(for her younger son). I went to pick them up last night and....SON OF A B!&CH!!!! The .223 and 30-06 have rust all over the entire barrel and receiver, and the 7mm's bolt was rusted so bad I had to use a very liberal amount of force to open it! When I pulled it out of his gun cabinet it was off safe. When I pick up a firearm the first thing I do is check clear. After I forced the bolt open I seen there were rounds in the magazine, so I stuck my pinky in the chamber and what do you know...it has a round with so much varnish the extractor failed!!! I don't really know what to do, I was so disgusted I left and haven't said anything. I just sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner down the barrel and will let it sit for a while and push it out with a cleaning rod. I also went coyote hunting this morning. I took the .223, the bore didn't look bad but I hadn't cleaned it yet. Had my wife drop me off about two miles from home on her way to work and I start hunting my way home. The first stand I score on a nice sized grey fox and the shell is stuck in the chamber and I can't get it out! So I just got done limping my gimped *** over hills and through several creeks in a very bad mood!!! Thanks for the vent!

PS- the goofy kid using the '06 must have been on a stand with a rail around it and rubbed it back and forth on the wood....looks like hell!

Bravo4

Welcome home my boy. While you are off dirty, tired, eating bad food, drinking bad water and bleeding for God only knows what, guess what? Nobody really gives a flying rats ***. Much the same thing was done to me but by my own brothers. Somewhere on this part of a forum is a picture of my "first car". My brother borrowed it for his wedding and honeymoon trip while I was in Vietnam. My other brothers and friends liberally decorated the car with shoe polish, shaving cream and a host of other substances that remove paint (preclearcoat days). The monthly payments on the car were just exactly the same as my combat duty pay. So, when I get home, the first thing I do is go and look at my most beloved car and it has words and lines and symbols etched into the silver paint. I just could not believe my beautiful car had been trashed so badly when I was off just trying not to get killed on a daily basis. Maybe they believed I was not going to make it back home so it wouldn't matter.

Bravo4, I really feel for you and it is just something that you never forget even though you do forgive after a while.

Don't loan stuff and don't borrow stuff unless you're prepared to pay the full replacement cost(s).

About the only person that'll treat your stuff as if it were their own is you, for nearly everyone else it is someone else's gear and it is free so there's absolutely no responsibility.

When I buy gear and I know there is a chance someone will need something much like what I have, I buy two or more of that item so I can 'loan' them one, one I never really expect to get back... I don't loan out my personal stuff unless it is to someone I'd trust with my life (and even then I watch carefully).

Harsh as it may seem, you got what was coming to you. Live, learn and don't do it again.

Friend or no friend I'd show him the damage and tell him that you EXPECT him to make good on it.

I loaned a pellet rifle to a "friend" who had it for more than a year. When I finally got around to asking for it to be returned he said " gee I'm sure I must have returned it already, I haven't seen that rifle in a long time". I never got it back and he insisted that he must have returned it. HARD LESSON LEARNED because that was the second pellet rifle loaned out and never to be returned.

I'm sorry for all of you, very sorry... It has also happened to me but I won't tell you so you don't feel sorry for me! I fully understand the frustration!! :(

BB,
I think you got it alot worse then I!!! He called me today and asked if I was still mad at him, our mutual friend told him to call me and make it right. I told him the extent of it and he told me not to mess with it, just send it to a gunsmith and have him strip everything down refinish it and if needed replace the comp trigger that is seized up.
And I did learn a lesson!

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

Welcome back B4 an thanks.....

Your friend made good, in the end but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I just had a friend bust some of my eqpt, I got it fixed told him the cost and you know what :mad: he aint even got the common decency even to offer to pay for it, so you know what, were done, he dont get anything of mine again ever!!!!!!!!

My missus even bollocked me for reminding him when I got the bill, sayin I was rude................:rolleyes:

BB,
I think you got it alot worse then I!!! He called me today and asked if I was still mad at him, our mutual friend told him to call me and make it right. I told him the extent of it and he told me not to mess with it, just send it to a gunsmith and have him strip everything down refinish it and if needed replace the comp trigger that is seized up.

Glad to hear it's gonna work out Bravo 4!

And some people wonder why certain things I just will not loan out. Don't even bother to ask.
The last person that asked I figured with his oldest son the rifle would have wound up in a pawn shop. He was dumb enough to trust the kid, I wasn't.

I still remember 45 years back as a kid the first thing I would have to do is wipe all the guns down and clean the barrels even if they wernt shot, mostly they were shot. seeing a Springfield rusty? MAN I WOULD BLOW UP!

BB,

I had a 223 PSS ruined by a bud co worker. He would not pay me a penny. I would absolutely make it perfectly right for yourself like your friend offered. Use it as your example when you say I DONT LOAN OR BORROW SCAT AND THEY SELL IT IF YOU NEED IT.

I just I don't understand people who don't respect others property. I will on occasion borrow stuff, but I don't like to make a habit of it. In the back of my mind, I fret about something happening to said borrowed property. I have no problems beating myself up for breaking something of my own, but would be sick to my stomach informing the owner I screwed something up.

I let an acquaintance borrow a small utility trailer. He returned it with missing cotter pin safety, and a burnt-out taillight. Even said the light was working before he borrowed it. So, simple stuff, but if you borrow something you return it in the same or better condition as it was upon borrowing. Chaps me when people don't follow this, so I make the caveat clear to people nowadays.

What's jacked up in @Bravo 4 situation is the friend didn't make the offer to correct his negligence of the property upon discovery. Had to later call and tell B4 to handle it. I know his friend said he would pay the bill, but that is still bad manners. A gunsmith isn't a magician. Some things just can't be brought back to original condition.

Last edited: