Just ordered a Rock Creek barrel

sambo3006

Just talked to Mike Rock today (boy is he a hoot!) and ordered a 30" 1-8.3 twist 30 cal barrel in a #6 contour. I'm having it sent to Kirby to plug it on to my 700 receiver and chamber it to 300RUM. Probably a Defensive Edge muzzle brake also.

The 1-8.3 twist is for the 290 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT and will not overspin the 200 gr AB. 2800 fps should be attainable with the 290 gr and a BC through the roof! This baby is going to be my long range elk rifle.

The rifle should come in at 11-12 lbs scoped. Haven't decided on mildot or clicks. I'll post a review when I get early this spring. Can't wait!

I'm not saying that 2800 might not be attainable.but i will say a side benefit will be you'll only shoot new brass!

a deffenet thumbs up to the Rock barrel.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that 2800 might not be attainable.but i will say a side benefit will be you'll only shoot new brass!

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that this is a 30" barrel and the bullets will be seated out to maximize case capacity and I'll use very slow powder like US869. 2800 certainly would be top end but I don't think I would be ruining brass. I will do proper load development and I will stop wherever the pressure signs tell me to. Even at 2700 fps the ballistics are awesome. The BC should be .9 or possibly a little more for the 290 ULD RBBT--and no, that isn't coming from Richard at Wildcat, he doesn't publish BC numbers. The only way to find out is to shoot!

Congrats! Sounds like it'll be a wicked rifle that should kill elk no problem farther than most rangefinders can range them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If the wind isn't too aweful this weekend, I'm going to see if those 290's will fly from my 1:9 twist. The flatbases did but these are a bit longer.

I figure you ought to be able to get somewhere in the 2750-2800 range with your 30" pretty easily. I stopped at 2824 from my 26.7" with the 290 FB when looking for the limit and backed off about 150 fps for a nice mild load at 2675. This is all assuming the RBBT's aren't much different than the FB's.

But you're right, even at 2700 the ballistics at extreme range will be totally amazing.

3006, sorry, didn't mean to come off like a smart-a but i guess i did. just seems like a lot of bearing surface and bullet weight to get going. looks like they can be shot that fast and a little faster. good luck, hope they work for ya, and keep us posted. this kind of stuff is always interesting to everyone.

How long is this missile ?
can you post a pic with it next to a regular bullet?

I was thinking about a 7mm Allen mag with 200gr pills but this may change things

[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't publish BC numbers. The only way to find out is to shoot!

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you bullet makers going to come up with a bullet that has the same BC for every rifle and at all velocity ranges?? I mean really, come on........Oh and we want them all to group in the .100's from all our rifles also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JDJones,

Just to keep you interested, there will be a 300 Allen Xpress and a 300 Allen Magnum here very soon designed specifically around these bullets!!

The 300 Allen Xpress is the 7mm AM necked up to 30 cal with very slightly more body taper to aid in higher pressure load extraction. Want to take full advantage of the strength of the Lapua case this time!!

If the Allen Xpress is based on the 7mm AM, I think you can guess what the 300 Allen Magnum is based on!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Should be interesting. Richard and I want a 1.0 BC bullet launched at 3300 fps!! Will have to see if it happens.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
How long is this missile ?

[/ QUOTE ]
About 1.86."
[ QUOTE ]
can you post a pic with it next to a regular bullet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry it's kind of dark.

290RBBTULD2.jpg

From the left, 200 AB, 210 SMK, 240 SMK, 290 WC RBBT and for comparison on the far right, 300 SMK (.338 cal).

With a SD equivalent to a 350 grain 338 or 800 grain 50 cal and that pointy shape, I'm predicting its BC will be.........."adequate." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sambo3006,
Very interesting!!! Keep us posted!

Kirby,
It's late and I'm not thinking right. I undestand the Allen Xpress, please explain on the Allen Magnum. Thanks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dave Wilson,
No need to appologize. I didn't think you were being a smartass, I just wanted to clarify what I based my velocity estimate on. That's the trouble with not talking face to face, easy to misinterpret tone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I tend to be rather matter of fact when I type. This barrel also will have a thin land design that Rock Creek developed at the request of Kirby Allen. This was recommended by both parties to me for this barrel. I assume that this thin land design places less stress on the bullet which as you said will have a long bearing surface.

JDJones,
I don't have one of these babies in my sweaty hands yet, but I do know that Richard has a new 30 cal 300 gr ULD RBBT that is 1.8" long. The 290 shouldn't be far behind on length. If you talk to him, he can probably make just about what ever you want (within the laws of physics!). He offers heavier jackets and bonded bullets also.

Just for question, Why dont you make the 300am off the 408 cheytac. Maybe a shortened version or just the full blown version. either way it might be able to drop a mouse within 100 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.