Just need to say this

Greg Duerr

Three years ago I sent in a Remington 700 action to a Reputable Gun Smith for my first Custom Rifle. It was going to be a .243 AI ...........After waiting one year 6 months past his promised completion date I received my Rifle...........
Then came the search.................300 rounds and different powders I had a hard time keeping it under one inch. I called him about it and he had little to say.
Come to find out he had used and old reamer he said was the first one he bought years and years ago........ My rifles chamber had a throat that was way to long and to wide. I could not seat 95 gr bergers out to touch the lands. Plus it would not shoot a boat-tail bullet at all. It would shoot flat base. Total cost for everything was $2500 Four month ago I send out to have a new barrel fitted and the Smith told me that the action was never Blue Printed nothing was done to it.
Total cost for the Rifle to be done right was $3750 If you want to know who the Smith was that Ripped me off you can PM me.

Three years ago I sent in a Remington 700 action to a Reputable Gun Smith for my first Custom Rifle. It was going to be a .243 AI ...........After waiting one year 6 months past his promised completion date I received my Rifle...........
Then came the search.................300 rounds and different powders I had a hard time keeping it under one inch. I called him about it and he had little to say.
Come to find out he had used and old reamer he said was the first one he bought years and years ago........ My rifles chamber had a throat that was way to long and to wide. I could not seat 95 gr bergers out to touch the lands. Plus it would not shoot a boat-tail bullet at all. It would shoot flat base. Total cost for everything was $2500 Four month ago I send out to have a new barrel fitted and the Smith told me that the action was never Blue Printed nothing was done to it.
Total cost for the Rifle to be done right was $3750 If you want to know who the Smith was that Ripped me off you can PM me.
that's unfortunate, wonder if you can pursue legal avenues and recover your money by having reputable smiths verify that no work was done. And report him to business fraud organizations.

That is why I don't send my rifles ANYWHERE, and take them to my local smith, who has an impeccable reputation. I know he does all the required work, and how my rifles shoot is evidence of that.

Plus, his prices are nowhere NEAR as astronomical as whomever you've been talking to.

That is why I don't send my rifles ANYWHERE, and take them to my local smith, who has an impeccable reputation. I know he does all the required work, and how my rifles shoot is evidence of that.

Plus, his prices are nowhere NEAR as astronomical as whomever you've been talking to.

Plus one!!! I to take mine to my local smith!

it seems to be almost a weekly thing where somebody was taken in by a gunsmith. I have reached the point where I don't trust 80% of them anymore.

When I was working, I did a lot of my own work on days off. Was I good at it? I doubt I was anybetter than anybody else, but knew exactly what I had. And I've seen some rifles that came out of shops that were just unsafe from the get go. Reagan said it right; "Trust But Verify."
gary

This story sounds eerily familiar to stories I've been hearing from friends about our local gunsmith here. Charging customers $2500 for a "custom long range" gun when he has no experience shooting long range, does not have precise enough machinery to get things perfectly true or the personality required for excellence. A friend did this and his gun won't group better than 2" at 100 yards with any handloads or factory loads he's tried. Gunsmith says he's not shooting it correctly!

I searched quite a bit for someone to build my custom. While I don't know him, he is a few hours away and has a strong reputation, as well as being a sponsor here.

No way I would pick a smith without a strong referral...

One question - can you say what state he is in? And is he a forum sponsor? That way you may cut down on requests from people re: who he is...

That's a horror story! I'm happy my Uncle is a gunsmith and that we are capable of doing work ourselves or this could be us. Would hate to spend that kind of money when a factory rifle will shoot equal or better out the box. These wannabe gunsmiths need to stop this crap!

How do you know this new smith isn't selling you another truing job?

How do you know this new smith isn't selling you another truing job?

Because the factory tooling marks were still on the face, one lug had contact and the factory recoil lug was used and not reground. Jim is correct, I just rebuilt it but was not the original builder.

The smith that messed up the project for me is in South Carolina....................The The Smith that made everything right was R Bros Rifles.

I highly recommend R Bros Rifles Travis took the time, and I asked a lot of questions before and after, to explain everything to me so I had a clear understanding what what went wrong and what needed to be done. What caught me off guard was his turnaround time.................8 weeks. I was so impressed with his work and the fact that he gave me the optimum accuracy load and a proof target to go along with it. The Fire Froming loads for the Ackley case and answered a lot of questions after the rifle was completed. Now all I need to do is some Fire Froming and a work up loads with My Powder lot to this accuracy load. I went out and found 7lbs of RL 22 and ordered 500 Berger 105 VLD's

For a smith to take the time to show you the best load for your rifle......just saved me a lot of time.

I highly recommend R Bros Rifles to anyone who wants a Super rifle.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.