Just finished a Savage Target W/O the Nut

Rustystud

This is a Savage Target Action, with a 30" MTU contour, 1:8, 5R Bartlein Barrel, chambered in 6.5 X .284. The action has been trued and the bolt timed. All has been glass beaded. This one was done without the Savage Barrel Nut.

Savage01.jpg

SavageTarget01.jpg

If that bolt was fluted it would look just like the one nate built for me in my 6X47lapua. I see you took the writing off also.

Brent

As always great looking work. I prefer to do savages without the nut. How much clearance do you leave between the front of the bolt and the back of the barrel? I have been using .003 but have been told that I am not leaving enough clearance.

eddybo:

.003 is about perfect for the Target action. It gives you plently of clearance for thiose hot days and keeps your case well below the chamfered chamber mouth. The only problem you may face is if you shoot F-Class and have a dusty match. You can have enough build up to cause bolt failure to close.

This is why on hunting rifles I like to leave .005 clearance.

I have also used Dave Kiffs .701 bolts and his fluted barrels.

Good Luck

Nat Lambeth

Thank you for the information. You real smiths who are willing to give advice have been a great help to me. I have picked up a lot of really great info from you guys, and the advice has always been spot on. I think I am getting a real perspective of what you guys deal with every day from my hobby smithing. I have learned that you guys are not paid nearly enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts