It's Here! It's Here! It's Here!

Re: It\'s Here! It\'s Here! It\'s Here!

xphunter,
Does the center grip cause any problems with smooth trigger pull? I have read that this was an issue with the xp 100 due to the extra linkage involved, hence all the rear grip ones coming out. I personally think the center grip ones are more pleasing to the eye and balance better in the hand. I've never owned one but threatend to. Done some shooting with the Contender in 223, 35 Rem and 45/70. You couldn't ask for a sweeter caliber than the 223. 3000 fps with the 50 gr BT and almost no recoil.
Awesome looking rig, man! Punch something way out there and post the pic!

All the center grips i've had have not been a problem at all. My APS 7-270 WSM is nice and crisp. Never checked the pull weight on it, but it's better than i need for hunting.

SS,are you guys using the xp trigger assy's or one from dewey or taylor? i'm in the process of building a bullpup rifle using the xp trigger assy but i'll have to lengthen the link.

The xp's. I don't think the other two have a safety with them. I know one of them does not, but I can't remember which one.

Sambo3006,

The XP triggers can be tuned very light and crisp if they are handled correctly. Like any trigger, the lighter you go, the more careful you have to be with handling the firearms.

Every light custom trigger will come with instructions that will flat out tell you that the bolt should be worked slowly and smoothly and that at no time should the firearm be carried with a round in the chamber because there is risk that the sear can slip from jarring.

Those that feel a light trigger should be made so that it simply will not slip off when jarred are not thinking realistic about the situation at hand. Simply put, a light trigger WILL slip off if the firearm is jarred or handled roughly.

That said, with the XP, it is pretty easy to get a really good trigger pull. The pulls need to be on the light end to feel good though. On a handgun, a 4 lb trigger feels DRAMATICALLY heavier then the same pull on a rifle so that is why I really like to keep XP triggers in the 2 lb range.

They are specialty handguns, single shots that should only be loaded when they are ready to be fired. In all honest, if an XP is handled correctly, the safety should really never be used as it should only be loaded when its ready to be fired. Thats my opinion anyway and what I recommend.

The linkage system in the XP can cause some issues but they are easily corrected. My personal 6.5mm WSM XP-100 and 338 WSM XP-100s have trigger pull set at 8 oz. They are as fine a trigger pulls as you will see on any bench rifle and the light weight allows them to be shot VERY accurately.

It will also allow the sear to drop if you happen to say drop the XP so keep them unloaded until its time to pull the trigger, that is true with any tuned trigger in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

400251.jpg

Thanks Guys!
I got my shoulder bump die set and OAl set. Brass is all prepped and hope to shoot it tomorrow (weather permitting).
Won't chrono it till I get to NEbraska.

Ernie or Kirby...what is the finished muzzle diameter on that barrel before the brake?? Does the 18" length that Ernie mentioned include the brake??

Just trying to get an idea of what my 7mm-270 WSM is going to look like!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I have my dies and brass is sized/trimmed and ready to go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...only five more months until the gun arrives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dan,
The 18 inches is actual barrel length before the brake. Brake would add about 1.5 inches (guess).

The Holland brake is awesome. I may get close to a full FOV with this!

Dan-- i'm sure Kirby's using the same reamer as he used to build mine, and it's just terrific. I'll be using it at our Bower clinic next wk. I took a 320 yd. 4X4 muley last big game season, and it along with the 200 gr. Wildcat performed perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.