It's Here! It's Here! It's Here!

Re: It\'s Here! It\'s Here! It\'s Here!

Cool looking rig. I don't know anything about bolt action CFP's or XP's but looking at the 8-25 on there makes me wonder about recoil and eye relief. Can you shoot this limp wristed with your eye that close and not get a, "7mmDakota brow?"

Not for sure how close I can safely get to this on 25x.
I will defintely get closer than I first imagined.
Change of grip can make a difference.
Once it is broke in, I will shot from several differnt positions and have someone watch to see how far it moves back on average and then I will make an extra safety zone for when the unexpected happens.

That is one awesome XP!!! To think, at one time I was satisfied with my little ole 7mm BR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you considered moving the scope all the way forward to add more weight on the frontend to reduce frontend "flip"??? That might ease some wrist pain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good idea, but it is not neccesary for this rig.
The recoil is so nominal, it is not even an issue.
I want it back further to bring it closer to my face.
More natural for me this way.
I have a 6-24 (30mm) Burris Black Diamond on my 6mm-284 Xp and it is also scooted far back for the same reason.

MC,

Its hard to imagine but these big handguns fitted with a Holland or similiar style brake simply do not recoil like you would think.

When I tested XPs 7mm Dakota before shipping I was shooting it off a heavy V sand bag and the effectiveness of the Holland QD brake would actually drive the muzzle down into the bag from the force generated by the top ports of the brake.

Again, you have to shoot one of these big guns to understand the lack of recoil generated from them. I know, heard it before from a gunsmith but in this case it is the god honest truth. Recoil is not an issue, period.

Kirby Allen(50)

Just a teaser here but while still in the break in process, I put the load into exbal (2650 MV, .850 BC, 2450 Elevation) and sighted it in @ 200 yards. Shot out to 600 yards and made a small correction on Exbal. Of course, there is cleaning taking place in this process.
The guys wanted me to try 1k. So I put 26.25 MOA in and 2 MOA in for wind (but I accidently clicked in 2.25 MOA) as this is what Exbal on my pocket PC called for.
Shooting off a Harris Bi-pod (w/Pod-Lok) and a small leather bag filled with crushed corn cob media. Made a first shot connection on steel @ four O'Clock about 6-7 inches from center. If I had only not clicked that extra quarter minute it would have been closer.
I think it is a keeper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby, I was also using Fed match mag. primers, 76.0 grains of Retumbo, and I have seated the bullet closer to the lands.
We won't be able to shoot out to a mile because we had to move our location to another field because of cattle.

XP,

Sounds like a good start I would say.

I am sure you will find some place to stretch this thing out to a mile sooner or later. Keep us posted, interesting stuff!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
MC,

Its hard to imagine but these big handguns fitted with a Holland or similiar style brake simply do not recoil like you would think.

........Recoil is not an issue, period.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I guess that my 7mm BR recoils more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That sucker has one heck of a muzzle flip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I may try to get Marc to film me today shooting the Dakota from a side view to let folks see just how little it recoils.

Never got around to Marc filming me, but here is the pic of the first attempt @ 1k with the Dakota.

402595.jpg

After we took the pics and repainted the target all four of us decided we would try a "four-man-group" @ 1k. One of the guys pictured, shot a specialty handgun for the first time in his life. He had never shot beyond 300 yards even with a rifle before last week.

403718.jpg

Looks like everyone would have filled their deer tags at 1000 yards on that day!!

Good shooting and loading!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Okay, this is the last pic.
Did a two shot group @ 900 yards. 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT is the only bullet I have used to date.

403721.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.