ITAR Regs

I spoke with the Compliance and Regulations Chief at the State Department for 40 minutes late last about this. This was before I saw the NRA's notification. According to the Chief, these are not new rules. These are the same interpretations they've had of the rules all along. Take any of that with a grain of salt but that's what he directly told me. He suggested I write a letter for an opinion and state that the ATF only requires a type 1 license for gunsmiths to cut threads for barrels and that that is in direct contradiction to the way they interpret manufacturing. He said they deal with things much more important than guns like planes, etc.

I know my gunsmith who builds his own actions has been paying that $2250 fee since he started.

The reason they revamped it, is because they're planning on cracking-down on your backyard gunsmiths and the folks that do it themselves. The fact is, it's all bullcrap. Just another way for them to slowly strangle the gun market and get more money at the same time. They want to eliminate a lot of gunsmiths out there who don't want to pay the money, and those that do, will have to jack up their prices to pay out an extra $2,250 per year and register with the ITAR... Which means more gunsmiths quitting their business and the ones that don't will have to raise their prices, so that would mean less people getting custom work done because of the price-hikes. It's just more globalist Bloomberg, Soros, Hitlary, and Obama crap.

Like was said earlier, whether you like him or not, to save our freedoms and our hobbies and some of our livelihoods, hold your nose and vote Trump.

Personally, I think he can be a bit rough around the edges, but at least he is honest, and lets you know what's on his mind...And has vowed to support the 2A. Three things that nobody could even remotely associate with the current lying jihadi Muslim in Chief and his napoleonic mentally ill demon-witch Hitlary.

The reason they revamped it, is because they're planning on cracking-down on your backyard gunsmiths and the folks that do it themselves. The fact is, it's all bullcrap. Just another way for them to slowly strangle the gun market and get more money at the same time. They want to eliminate a lot of gunsmiths out there who don't want to pay the money, and those that do, will have to jack up their prices to pay out an extra $2,250 per year and register with the ITAR... Which means more gunsmiths quitting their business and the ones that don't will have to raise their prices, so that would mean less people getting custom work done because of the price-hikes. It's just more globalist Bloomberg, Soros, Hitlary, and Obama crap.

Like was said earlier, whether you like him or not, to save our freedoms and our hobbies and some of our livelihoods, hold your nose and vote Trump.

Personally, I think he can be a bit rough around the edges, but at least he is honest, and lets you know what's on his mind...And has vowed to support the 2A. Three things that nobody could even remotely associate with the current lying jihadi Muslim in Chief and his napoleonic mentally ill demon-witch Hitlary.
I was beginning to think added govenment reulations and fees, which will definately raise prices, only mattered to a few on this forum. Those that make 'parts' are effected, too. Barrels, bolts, bottom metal, stocks, not much goes uneffected by the threat to enforce this, BB & pellet guns, blk powder muzzle loaders and shotguns with barrels longer than 18".

This will effect EVERY gun owner and every gunsmith, I have already talked to a half dozen guys who are folding up shop and getting out of it. I myself will have to decide what to do, I'm plowing every nickle back into my shop and honestly that much in annual fees will change my business plan.
There seems to be guys who are getting out of it and guys who are waiting till after the election to decide.

bigandgreen, IdahoCTD, (and everyone else!) call your congressman and senators. A phone call seems to get attention, at least I feel like it has here. Explain the situation to the staffer on the other end. Offer to send/e-mail the DoS 'decree' and the ATFE rulings on gunsmiths and manufactures. Also, offer them a copy of the U.S. Munitions List (121.1 page 2, Catagory 1, line (a) the discription of 'firearms'). Let your voice be heard. If you stay silent, there is no chance of change. If you value your business, stand up for it! I have supplied my congressman and both senators with the three documents I mentioned above. I called each of my reps offices, here in the state (not the D.C. offices). Their phone numbers are easy to find on the web. If we can get enough of our elected representitives to see this, we my have a chance at changing it. Make life uncomforable for the DoS for a change. I'll bet they love having Congressman and Senators asking questions. I'll be suppling my local customers with the phone numbers of our Congressman and Senators and asking them to make a simple phone call, also. We elect the people to help us when we need it. We need their help, now! Ask 'um! Many of them are up for re-election, which might make them more responsive to their constituents.

I figure we will have to add a line to every invoice on guns that are serviced that fall into the ITAR guidelines. It will say, "ITAR fee:" with a charge of 2250/ however many invoices that we expect to be affected. That number may be anywhere from $20 to $50. It is not going to go over well with a lot of customers. It's either that or just bury it in the cost. I think customers should know why the prices are like they are and hopefully remember that when they go to the polls. Maybe it would be more fair to only spread the cost among the Democratic Party members. After a year the fee will be evaluated and adjusted to be sure it is at least enough to cover the actual costs involved. The remainder of this year we will have to absorb the loss.

Again, Trump is our only hope. God save President Trump!

Click on the link that MudRunner provided. Within the artical that comes up is another link to the actual Department of State 'letter'. Make sure and read the sub-heading on the last page titled "Registration Required-Other Than Manufacturing". a. Assisting foreign persons in the design, development, and repair of firearms may constitute the export of defense services and require ITAR registration with and authorization from DDTC; with as broad as this 'letter' is, could answering a 'how to' question on an internet forum be considered 'exporting' without a license? Remember, on the web its there forever and anyone, anywhere can read it.

I try and look at the big picture and It simply says to me is that it is another form of "Registration
of all firearms and eventually "confiscation".

History has shown what registration led to.

The US Civilians are the largest army in the world by a bunch, and of course the rest of the world would like to see us disarmed.

As stated by others, it would also cripple scores of aftermarket businesses and even prevent a gun owner from servicing/replacing any faulty parts without registering his firearm.

Plain and simple. This would be the end of our freedom if passed.

J E CUSTOM

Shortgrass is right...This is basically the start of executive order gun control that will lead to confiscation.

It's time our nutless Congress shuts him down.

It would seem it would be easy to gain leverage over regulations and laws such as this from even getting started. There are 150 million gun owners in the United States.

If we could get even half of the gun owners to join the NRA the politicians would avoid anti-gun issues in fear of being canned in the next election. As we all know the most important thing to a politician is to stay in office. According to the NRA we have about 5 million members. Look how much influence those 5 million have with the politicians. Without the NRA can you imagine what freedoms would have already been taken? As it stands the 5 million is doing the work for the 150 million.

Without an organization representing myself and many of the guys on this and other forums that make a living in the firearms industry they will continue to slowly take what ever they want without opposition. With this last implementation of regulations they seem to be beating on us like a baby seal.

How many of you guys sell NRA memberships in your shop?
If you don't you might want to consider it. Stress the importance of joining to your clients. Ask them if keeping your firearms are worth the 25-35 dollars a year. I am a Life Member and try to sell memberships to all my clients. Some buy some dont. We can't sit back depend on someone else doing it for us.

Sorry if this a little off topic, But I know a lot of the guys posting on this topic are being directly affected by these new regulations including myself. I'm not saying this is the only answer, but it is one in the right direction. You control the politicians you control the laws.

Boe

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.