ITAR Regs

A gunsmith buddy and I were talking about this tonight, don't know what to think, I was thinking about going to a manufacturing license any way but if guys have to you will see a large pricing increase to cover the cost of red tape.
It could be a death nail for the local gunsmith, I think this election will decide the fate of a lot of small gun businesses.

"It could be the death nail for local gunsmiths, I think this election will decide the fate of a lot of small gun businesses". I think that is the goal of these new "clairifications of the regulations".

"It could be the death nail for local gunsmiths, I think this election will decide the fate of a lot of small gun businesses". I think that is the goal of these new "clairifications of the regulations".

This actually stems from an executive order on 3/13 which is why there was never any of the usual public discussion forums to see if this was viable to pass. If you notice, this was during Hillary's watch at the State Dept. which oversees the DDTC:

Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC)

Regards.

This has no impact on whether or not you need an 07 or not. 01 is the correct license for custom rifle building on other peoples guns. Building or modifying guns for resale with any modification like changing stocks or sights including bluing or paint is manufacturing and requires an 07 license and ITAR registration. This is regulated by BATF and ITAR.

ITAR registration has their own definition of manufacturing and it doesn't matter what BATF license you hold. If you meet ITAR manufacturing registration requirements you must pay the fee, keep track of guns modified under this regulation and pay the taxes. You do not need to get an 07 unless BATF changes their requirements.

Since I build no guns for resale (not even one) according to the way it reads is my 01 is fine for working on other peoples guns but any activity that require drilling, milling, threading, changing caliber, capacity or any modification for accuracy including bedding requires ITAR registration, records and possible additional taxes.

I'm certain this will kill the guys that do it on the side for themselves and friends because doing it for profit isn't a consideration. The way it reads that anyone modifying even one gun is in the business of manufacturing and doing it without registration is punishable by no less than one year in prison. That means at least $2250 ITAR registration to thread your own barrel for a muzzle brake or hang a barrel.

If Hillary wins this is just the start of more regulations that will eliminate our freedoms. Like him or not, Trump must win this one.

Here's what it says;

Attachments

• ITAR page1.jpg
    ITAR page1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 70
  • page 2.jpg
    page 2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 107
Sorry for the small size, guys, but that's the best I could do. You'll have to download 'um to be able to see and read full page. There are links on many of the other forums that have threads about the new ITAR regulations. This is quit serious for all shooters. Your gunsmith will have to raise prices to cover the costs of registration and the added paper work. Some will say , "to heck with it", and close up shop. With fewer gunsmiths, wait times will increase. This isn't about exporting, its about narrowing down the number of small shops and keeping track of those who make 'parts'.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.