It just ain't my day

I can beat that bad luck with some just plain stupid. I was on a set with a buddy of mine and we were covering two sides of a decent sized hill. We were going to call for about 30 minutes and move to the next set if we got nothing. Well, about 30 minutes in a decent size dog comes over a draw at 335 yards and stops to have a look around. Problem number one surfaced when I tried to shoulder the rifle in the sitting position on the down slope I was sitting on. I couldn't get down low enough on the scope using same bipod I had used from sitting dozens of times before. Luckily I was right in front of a cedar and had the sun behind me, so I slowly pulled in the bipod legs and went to prone. He was standing there mostly and would occasionally move a few feet. The long bipod wasn't ideal from prone but my wobble was well inside the front half of the dog. I took a few breaths to calm down and get a more steady point of aim. About that time the dog decided it had seen enough and turned ends quickly and hauled butt the other direction. It was into the brush in about 20 feet and I didn't even have a shot. I probably looked at that dog for close to a minute and didn't take a shot that would have assuredly been a hit. I felt pretty stupid and was more than embarrassed to head out quietly and tell my buddy of the dumb move I had pulled. Believe me when I say that was a learning experience. I did get one two days later at 580 yards (prone, 6XC, Badger M2013, Bartlein 1-8, 115Dtacs). Guess which one I can't get out of my head?

Called coyotes all day this past Saturday and had a total of 10 set ups and saw two yotes that offered no shots. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in Iowa now owns a coyote call and most of them are just educating the coyotes until it is almost impossible to get them to answer a call.

I am about to forgo the call and tie the neighbor ladies yapping Yorkie Poo to a corn stalk in the middle of the field with some fishing line and go hide a couple hunert yards away! Of course I'm not really going to do that.......but I bet it would work!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.