It just ain't my day

Tnwhip

Yesterday morning I got up went to the farm to see if I could shoot a coyote. I pull out in the field and there is a yote standing 50 yds from me. I stop the truck grab the AR and jump out, jack the bolt back and take aim it is just trotting. I put the cross hairs on him and squeeze the trigger and CLICK. What the heck. The cartridge jammed. By the time I get it cleared he was gone. He was headed toward my target shooting shed. Well I said I will go on to the back field and see if anything comes out back there. I get in my blind and another yote come out 350 yards away heading away from me. I blow the call, he looks and keeps going. I howl do the puppy wines I do everything I can he ain't coming. I should have got the rifle ready and took the shot when he stopped but I didn't. I left and went home. After lunch I had a new scope I wanted to get sighted in and I drove back to the farm and when I pulled up to the shooting shed there was a coyote laying on a mound of dirt not 20 yards. I grab the AR, it has a cartridge in it now. He get up and drops off the back side of the mound and into the thicket. I can't find him. I bet that is the same coyote that I had the jam with that morning. He is just messing with me. One of these days, his luck will run out.

The thing about it is, I hunt almost every day. I get a thermos full of coffee and go sit in the blind every morning and evening. I don't call I just watch the deer and what ever comes out hoping a yote will show himself. I have not seen a coyote in over 3 months, and I missed that one. Then all of a sudden I have 3 chances in one day. kinda knocks the wind out of me LOL. I just got back from the farm, just checking to see if he was back sleeping on the dirt mound again. No luck today. I will go back to the blind this evening and see what I can see.

Well the one in the back field screwed up this evening. She came around the edge of the field at 188 yds . Shot her with my AR-15 22 nosler
2017-01-21 09.14.50.jpg

Keep plugging away; it (usually) pays off. If nothing else, a learning experience.
I'm at the point where the only rifle I try to take coyote hunting is a bolt-action .243. Simple, reliable and - since one must take the shot given, as coyotes are out here but the chance of calling/seeing one any given time out is low - will let me hit anything out there as far as I'm able.

Yes I love my old Rem.788 243 also. I would rather carry it but I need to get some blood on this new 22 nosler. upper I bought, so I have been taking it and the AR does have the advantage of fast follow up shots, if I need them. I am shooting 70 sp and 65 V max. in 243 but I am going to try some 75 V maxes the next time i go shooting and see how they do.
Keep plugging away; it (usually) pays off. If nothing else, a learning experience.
I'm at the point where the only rifle I try to take coyote hunting is a bolt-action .243. Simple, reliable and - since one must take the shot given, as coyotes are out here but the chance of calling/seeing one any given time out is low - will let me hit anything out there as far as I'm able.

Last edited:
nice story ,but remember they the coyotes live on your farm, they see everything coming an going, but congrat's persistence payed off. when they over populate they get brave,nice shooting and saving 2 adult deer and i'd say 3 fawn's per coyote, not counting the smaller critters ,thks jjmp

Had one come out this morning at 480 yds. missed judged the range, just shot over him. Dang I hate missing.

Love your story, especially the updates. Don't feel bad, I missed on right at dark the other night behind my house by holding right at the top of his shoulder and watching the dirt fly up behind him.....sure makes you grumble doesn't it?

Thanks.I did shoot a coon at 277 yds yesterday evening crossing the field. Before I could go out after him it started raining and lightning really bad. Didn't want to get struck by lightning out in the open field. I when out to make sure I didn't hit the yote and pick up the coon this morning. The coon was gone I guess the yote drug him off some time last night. The yote will be back and I hope I will be there waiting.

Holy smokes a thread where guys actually talk about their misses! Ha! Me too! I sat in three degree temps for an hour and a half because I had one answering a female invite call. The rascal got around behind me somehow( I reckon cuz he's smarter than I am) and I got one fleeing shot as he he was going through the trees....might as well saved that round. The tracks in the fresh 8 inches of snow showed that he got to within 35 yards before my stink got to him. It is aggravating but those near misses are what keep us coming back....or lack of sanity...something.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.