Isn't really long range but it goes with my last thread about 22LR's.

matt_3479

One of my last posts was about believing in 22's. I was saying how my neighbor shot and dropped a coyote in its tracks at 87 yards. Then we were plinking water bottles at 100, 150 and 180 yards.

I went out today again with a couple 22 and we came across a small pond in the middle of a plowed corn field. We saw a couple geese, a couple ducks, a couple swans, and then a lot of crows. Now obviously we took no shots at geese or ducks or swans but we just picked a side and sat and waited for the crows to land. The way we were set up we guessed it to be about 75-80 yards across the pond, where the seagulls sized birds where. I lined up and squeezed the trigger and the bird just crippled. my body ran back and grabbed the range finder because the walk over to get the bird felt longer. we ranged it at 121 yards, once again a neck shot. I know this is a little animal compared to a coyote but 121 yards, hit where i aimed, the bird just folded. Once again wouldn't hesitate to take an coyote or smaller within 100.

Last edited:
You should try shooting smallbore metalic silhouette matches. If you are that good, you could walk up and win the Nationals, or go to the Southern Nationals and win guns and scopes and money.

nice shooting. i dont belive it is ever luck when shooting at something because from my experience you intend on hitting it so there should be no surprise when you do right. gun)

nice shooting. i dont belive it is ever luck when shooting at something because from my experience you intend on hitting it so there should be no surprise when you do right. gun)

I agree! That kind of talent should be put to good use. Like winning guns and money! :D

Luck is where opportunity and preparation meet. Or something like that.

I dont know the game laws where your from, but I think Id edit my post to say ''seagull sized bird''. You definately do not want to shoot those GARBAGE birds in Oregon, or youll be reciving a hefty fine. Just an FYI.
I hate em too, but Id hate to see someone get in trouble for something like that.
Nice shooting by the way.

I don't doug you one bit I have a rem 541-t that I've shot sage rates at over 200 yards with. It takes a couple shots to some time to get the right hold over and wind. I've also killed coyotes at 100 or so yards with that same gun.

I wish there were some matches like that in my area. I shot smallbore in high school made distiguished at 16 then focused on service rifle. I miss shooting smallbore you seem to grow up and want to shoot ulta mags and big boomers and forget how much fun it is to shoot those little rimfires.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.