Is today's premium ammo as good as the average guys HL's?

I've never had factory ammo shoot as good as my handloads. But even if it was as good, the cost difference makes it still worthwhile. Example: my 300wm costs me less than $1 per round with high quality components. The better stuff on the shelf is $60 or more. Add in zero worries about out of stock ammo during hunting season. This is a no brainer from where I sit.

A lot of handloaders haven't tried out some of the newer ammo, like precision hunter or the hornady match with the eldm (amax). I can shoot that stuff into sub moa groups to 1000 yards in my 270wsm, 260 Rem, and 6mm creedmoor and hunt with it as well. I think if some of the guys that have been handloading for years actually went and gave this stuff a try they would eat some humble pie and their opinions would change. I grew up being taught the only way to get acceptable accuracy was the handload, so that is what I believed - if it wasn't for promotions and kids stuff taking up a bunch of my time and forcing me outside my comfort zone and into the world of premium factory ammo, I would be on here spewing crap about how handloads are the only way to go.

I really depends on the the application. There are good factory loads that can be used for hunting, "depending on range/game", and, certainly various types of competition. For a +600 yard shot at game....I couldn't imagine using a factory load, but that's me.
When was the last time you put some premium factory ammo to the test?

I've never had factory ammo shoot as good as my handloads. But even if it was as good, the cost difference makes it still worthwhile. Example: my 300wm costs me less than $1 per round with high quality components. The better stuff on the shelf is $60 or more. Add in zero worries about out of stock ammo during hunting season. This is a no brainer from where I sit.
I have had some factory ammo shoot as well as handloads[out to only 500 yds].
Working out of town, when the opportunity to go hunting comes up you don't always have time for reloading. The extra cost of custom ammo is a small part of the hunt. I do reload so i am not opposed to rolling my own. Now that i'm retired i will be doing more of it. I have reloaded everything from pistol,rifle shotgun for close to 45 years.
Good hunting!

SemperFi

When was the last time you put some premium factory ammo to the test?
The problem is when they change components or QC failures you only find out by failures. I won't take that chance in comp(if I'm serious) and certainly not for hunting.

I have had some factory ammo shoot as well as handloads[out to only 500 yds].
Working out of town, when the opportunity to go hunting comes up you don't always have time for reloading. The extra cost of custom ammo is a small part of the hunt. I do reload so i am not opposed to rolling my own. Now that i'm retired i will be doing more of it. I have reloaded everything from pistol,rifle shotgun for close to 45 years.
Good hunting

SemperFi

The problem is when they change components or QC failures you only find out by failures. I won't take that chance in comp(if I'm serious) and certainly not for hunting.
As mentioned before, same crap happens with reloading components, they vary from lot to lot....a very small percentage of reloaders weigh and measure everything. Thats why we have all these *** happened threads on this site where guys have been using the same recipe for a while and all of a sudden they have sticky bolts and pressure signs, flyers and accuracy issues.

If you like to reload then reload, but I think you are being naive if you don't think you can achieve acceptable accuracy with premium factory ammo for PRS and long range hunting. Bench rest, I get it...

If you like to reload then reload, but I think you are being naive if you don't think you can achieve acceptable accuracy with premium factory ammo for PRS and long range hunting. Bench rest, I get it...
I think a lot also has to do with the quality of the firearm, barrel.

SemperFi

Bryan Litz hit the nail on the head in his first publication. Of all the shooting variables there are two "in-determinants" that plague the long range shooter. One is the absolute determination of the wind condition. The other, relevant to this discussion, is the consistency/integrity of each individual cartridge. We don't know how it "actually" performs until it's fired. We try to close the gap with wind dopes with tools, practice and the accumulation of experience. We try maximize the consistency and predictability of each round with very carefully constructed hand loads....that we can personally measure, test, and control. I'm not willing to take the leap of faith with even premium factory ammo for that one opportunity on a trophy animal at extended range.

Bryan Litz hit the nail on the head in his first publication. Of all the shooting variables there are two "in-determinants" that plague the long range shooter. One is the absolute determination of the wind condition. The other, relevant to this discussion, is the consistency/integrity of each individual cartridge. We don't know how it "actually" performs until it's fired. We try to close the gap with wind dopes with tools, practice and the accumulation of experience. We try maximize the consistency and predictability of each round with very carefully constructed hand loads....that we can personally measure, test, and control. I'm not willing to take the leap of faith with even premium factory ammo for that one opportunity on a trophy animal at extended range.

This is the same argument guys use for their expensive fully custom guns that don't shoot any better than high end browning xbolt, bergara or tikka. It drives those people nuts that joe shmoe can go grab a tikka and a box of hornady precision and shoot smaller groups at 1000 yards than they can with their with custom ammo and their custom rifles.

The advantage is all psychological, and there is likely very little real advantage.

We are living in a great time where improvements in the quality of factory ammo and rifles have closed a huge gap that used to exist between factory and custom.

I have taken animals at extended range with factory ammo with no ill effects, one shot kills on elk at 450 yards. Not extended range but under the prevailing conditions, it was far enough. Have also seen handloads with misfires, hangfires due to primer depth, oil in primers, inconsistent powder charges,etc. Just saying, nothing is 100 % as much as we would like it to be. We all just strive to do our best with what we got!

SemperFi

As mentioned before, same crap happens with reloading components, they vary from lot to lot....a very small percentage of reloaders weigh and measure everything. Thats why we have all these *** happened threads on this site where guys have been using the same recipe for a while and all of a sudden they have sticky bolts and pressure signs, flyers and accuracy issues.
When getting new lots of powder/primers/bullets/brass you back off and work back up to the sweet spot again. Use that stuff for plinking, etc. Not comps or hunting long range. When I ran out of the "old" H1000 the new batch was quite a bit hotter as everyone found out, hence the threads you are talking about.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts