Is today's premium ammo as good as the average guys HL's?

This is the same argument guys use for their expensive fully custom guns that don't shoot any better than high end browning xbolt, bergara or tikka. It drives those people nuts that joe shmoe can go grab a tikka and a box of hornady precision and shoot smaller groups at 1000 yards than they can with their with custom ammo and their custom rifles.

The advantage is all psychological, and there is likely very little real advantage.

We are living in a great time where improvements in the quality of factory ammo and rifles have closed a huge gap that used to exist between factory and custom.

It might be someones argument, but it wasn't mine. I'm not talking about rifles, nor talking about shooting "groups" at 1000 yards, or shooting an elk at 450 yards. I'm referring to a cold bore, 850 yard shot on the vital area of a whitetail at 15F temperature. Trust your Premium factory ammo at your own peril. IMO.

Last edited:
It might be someones argument, but it wasn't mine. I'm not talking about rifles, nor talking about shooting "groups" at 1000 yards, or shooting an elk at 450 yards. I'm referring to a cold bore, 850 yard shot on the vital area of a whitetail at 15F temperature. Trust your Premium factory ammo at your own peril. IMO.
Been there done that brother, except mine are on elk, mule deer, and black bear that have ranged from 600-900 yards using hornady precision hunter ammo - all one shot cold bore kills. I guess I forgot to add my opinion is based on my experience :)

Let me start by....I don't reload.

Premium factory is without question the best it's ever been.

HOWEVER

There is no way that a reasonable hand loader cannot improve the groups and at a much lower cost. Not to mention maintain those groups longer than us factory shooters can. Reloader's have all the control.

I have no doubts that if my rifles shoot factory ammo great, they would shoot a "custom" load designed for it better. If I purchase items in bulk, I could have a lifetime supply of components.

With factory, if the company sees a reduction in sale, or Ive chosen a less popular or more expensive round....they can discontinue it without notice.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Reloader's have all the control.

This is a true statement, but only if they start from scratch each time they get a new lot of components - weigh, measure, back there load off and work their way up...been there done that, its a process and one I don't love, nor do I have the time for right now. Maybe when I hit a different phase of my life I will think differently. Right now its, do I spend two hours reloading or do I hit the golf course with my son on our way to the gun range?

Also, those that think they save money reloading are kidding themselves...lol

Been there done that brother, except mine are on elk, mule deer, and black bear that have ranged from 600-900 yards using hornady precision hunter ammo - all one shot cold bore kills. I guess I forgot to add my opinion is based on my experience :)

I wish you luck in the future!

Let me start by....I don't reload.

Premium factory is without question the best it's ever been.

HOWEVER

There is no way that a reasonable hand loader cannot improve the groups and at a much lower cost. Not to mention maintain those groups longer than us factory shooters can. Reloader's have all the control.

I have no doubts that if my rifles shoot factory ammo great, they would shoot a "custom" load designed for it better. If I purchase items in bulk, I could have a lifetime supply of components.

With factory, if the company sees a reduction in sale, or Ive chosen a less popular or more expensive round....they can discontinue it without notice.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

This is back to my point...IF a HL would take the time to do it right! But doing it right means often lots of rounds which now with all that maybe its more expensive than buying a box of quality factory ammo. I think the cost saving for rifle load is a wash. Bulk pistol yes! There are a lot of variables. I still think most target and heavy barrel guns with normal chambers will shoot premium factory ammo very well. But light weight hunting guns will benefit greatly from a worked up quality HL if the loader does it right. The way the guy did it at the range, he would have just as good a chance of getting a good group buying factory. He put no effort into working up a accurate load. Just a max velocity load.

I hand load for the enjoyment of it. I like to start from scratch, put something together, and enjoy the end result. I do wood working for the same reason. Ashley Furniture builds way better stuff than I do, but I still get fat and have good family time around the kitchen table I built with 2x4's from Lowe's
Title of the post said "average" and I'd venture to say, the average hand loader can load just a good of round as high end factory loads and feel a sense of accomplishment in the process. Yes, premium factory ammo shoots great in most cases (I.e. - ELD-X & ELD-M) but to the average hand loader, there is a lot less enjoyment with premium ammunition off the shelf... I would say the average had loader does it because they want to, and not because they feel obligated. Just my two cents

Factory ammo is loaded to a standard specification, with a safe powder charge, and an overall length that will fit in every rifle of that caliber. If a factory load shoots well in your rifle that's great. But if you buy a box of factory from a different lot, maybe later down the road there's no guarantee it will be exactly the same as before. factory loaded ammo will never be as good as a custom handload for a specific rifle. Custom handloaders have more options for bullets and components and I often make loads for people because they can't find factory ammo for a specific purpose or obscure cartridge. Rollin your own is the way to go.

Exactly, and remember, handloading and reloading aren't exactly the same thing, and motivations are different. I reload on a Dillon 650 to lower the cost per round for high volume shooting. I handload for pure accuracy, and that has become something between a hobby and a quest. Cost in this instance is of no consequence. I'm sure most folks interests are somewhere between these two extremes.

I could have purchased a mountain of loaded ammunition for what I've invested in Reloading equipment.

Like many others, Consistency was the Goal.

The never-ending debate.

For how much I shoot per year reloading is much cheaper, I already got a return on the money invested on reloading equipment a long time ago.

Accuracy is also better whether it's 1 moa better of half moa better, it is just more accurate.

One thing that also helps is finding good deals on bullets, primers, brass and powders. Its also great family time if spent with a dad, son, brother, Godson, etc.

My previous thoughts were waxed during the presumed server errors earlier this week.....and they were just so important I'll re-post:rolleyes:

I've ran modern factory ammo out to 1,400 yards without a problem. A seasoned & serious reloader could cut down on SD and increase hit percentages, but based on my available free time, time spent trigger pressing is more valuable to me at this stage in my life and yields far better gains than trimming SDs. And let's be honest, like any other skill, you need to put in a maintained effort to be a top level reloader.

As far as economics go, I've ran life cycle cost evaluations on numerous occasions, and the only way that reloading makes sense economically for my 'precision' guns is if I fail to account for the value of my time. As soon as time is accounted for, reloading is easily more expensive. Now if were talking plinking for handguns or ARs, that's a different story (but this is a long range hunting forum, not a plinking forum).

In my experience, you should never have to reload for accuracy. Rifles shoot or they need work. All my rifles will shoot factory ammo in the 0.3 - 0.75 MOA range, and the larger spread is likely more of an indication of my own weak points shooting lighter weight/higher recoiling rifles (plus I don't cherry pick fliers, every singe shot counts not matter what).

That said, if reloading is an independent hobby, then economics, quality, consistency, etc. are moot points, and have fun reloading!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.