Is this the right next step?

Well first off, I don't believe i ever said scope levels weren't any good. I simply said/meant, they aren't necessary in order to hunt L/R (Successfully).
And beyond that i said I don't know anybody among the many l/r hunters i know who use them.
My advice for a beginner would be to go shoot without one first, and see how you make out.
As for installing a scope (properly), Ive never used a level for that either.
I assume, our kitchen table is at least almost level, although to be perfectly honest I don't know for absolutely sure.
Anyway i sit the gun on the table as level as i can, open the side door, and line up the vertical cross hair with the corner of the garage which is about 75' away.
Now again, being perfectly honest about it, Ive never checked that corner for being perfectly plumb either.
While im at it, and while the gun is pointed at the garage, i usually bore site the scope by using the door knob on the garage door.
Now that's just me, and the very informal way i go about doing most things.
I do read of coarse, and i do pay attention to what's being said by others as to how to go about things. And over the last maybe 10 to 15 years I've noticed things are changing.
I think it all correlates around internet use by more and more people. And more and more entrepanours wanting a seat on the L/R bandwagon that actually left the station before many of them were born. But again, that's just me.
But i did have an oppurtunity about 6/7 years ago to watch a person I've known for a long time and do consider to be a real pro install a scope.
The guys name is Bruce Baer, who many here will recognize as being a top shelf gun builder of long standing. He is also a very experienced long range hunter.
Anyway he had rebarreled one of my guns, and while he had it
I had decided to change out my old target scope for a new Nightforce. He had the base installed when i arrived to pick up the gun, but he hadn't as yet installed the scope.
He has a room on the end of his shop with a very sturdy bench he shoots from by just opening a window.
I recall him having target setups to about 500 yds for testing guns.
Anyway he took my gun in there and sat it on the bench, placed the scope in the rings and just snugged them up a little.
He then looked into the scope and moved it some to suit him while lining it up on a target frame post.
Then he told me to sit behind the gun and look thru the scope.
How does that look to you? Well I'm a lefty and he's a righty so i had him move the scope slightly. That OK? Yep that's OK, so he took a plain old screwdriver and tightened it down hard.
Next thing he did was to use a spoon and a trickier to load a few rounds for testing. When i questioned why not use the RCBS power powder measure or one of the others he had, he said the power unit wasn't accurate enough for the big charges, and its just faster for just a few rounds to do it the way he did.
I mean how basic does it get, but for me at least it was a refreshing thing to witness.
Only thing better might be a brand new late 50s Jeep station wagon. Lol
As for the gun, it's a 338 in which i use 137 gr of H50 BMG with a 300 gr SMK.
I have shot it out to a mile a few times at rocks and the scope tracks very well.
What's to argue about that?
Sorry for the long post.

No, I said their rifles-systems become unlevel from recoil, levels coming lose or getting out of whack was not mentioned.
Apologies if I mistook your response. When I read it, it looked like you were saying the scope level was off due to recoil, etc and not the platform. Happy thanksgiving

Well first off, I don't believe i ever said scope levels weren't any good. I simply said/meant, they aren't necessary in order to hunt L/R (Successfully).
And beyond that i said I don't know anybody among the many l/r hunters i know who use them.
My advice for a beginner would be to go shoot without one first, and see how you make out.
As for installing a scope (properly), Ive never used a level for that either.
I assume, our kitchen table is at least almost level, although to be perfectly honest I don't know for absolutely sure.
Anyway i sit the gun on the table as level as i can, open the side door, and line up the vertical cross hair with the corner of the garage which is about 75' away.
Now again, being perfectly honest about it, Ive never checked that corner for being perfectly plumb either.
While im at it, and while the gun is pointed at the garage, i usually bore site the scope by using the door knob on the garage door.
Now that's just me, and the very informal way i go about doing most things.
I do read of coarse, and i do pay attention to what's being said by others as to how to go about things. And over the last maybe 10 to 15 years I've noticed things are changing.
I think it all correlates around internet use by more and more people. And more and more entrepanours wanting a seat on the L/R bandwagon that actually left the station before many of them were born. But again, that's just me.
But i did have an oppurtunity about 6/7 years ago to watch a person I've known for a long time and do consider to be a real pro install a scope.
The guys name is Bruce Baer, who many here will recognize as being a top shelf gun builder of long standing. He is also a very experienced long range hunter.
Anyway he had rebarreled one of my guns, and while he had it
I had decided to change out my old target scope for a new Nightforce. He had the base installed when i arrived to pick up the gun, but he hadn't as yet installed the scope.
He has a room on the end of his shop with a very sturdy bench he shoots from by just opening a window.
I recall him having target setups to about 500 yds for testing guns.
Anyway he took my gun in there and sat it on the bench, placed the scope in the rings and just snugged them up a little.
He then looked into the scope and moved it some to suit him while lining it up on a target frame post.
Then he told me to sit behind the gun and look thru the scope.
How does that look to you? Well I'm a lefty and he's a righty so i had him move the scope slightly. That OK? Yep that's OK, so he took a plain old screwdriver and tightened it down hard.
Next thing he did was to use a spoon and a trickier to load a few rounds for testing. When i questioned why not use the RCBS power powder measure or one of the others he had, he said the power unit wasn't accurate enough for the big charges, and its just faster for just a few rounds to do it the way he did.
I mean how basic does it get, but for me at least it was a refreshing thing to witness.
Only thing better might be a brand new late 50s Jeep station wagon. Lol
As for the gun, it's a 338 in which i use 137 gr of H50 BMG with a 300 gr SMK.
I have shot it out to a mile a few times at rocks and the scope tracks very well.
What's to argue about that?
Sorry for the long post.
I agree that many say you HAVE to buy this _______ to really be considered a LR hunter. Some gunsmiths sell you on things you don't need and that do not make you shoot better.
As for mr Baer mounting your scope, he is obviously recognized but I dont agree with leveling a scope without even a level :) I worked construction to put me thru college and even the old guys that said "I dont need a level" used one. Glad your edge is working out.

I bought my sorta gunsmithing mentor and friend a scope level before he retired. I mounted it on his 308 and he shot better but took it off saying "these things don't work" Just found it today in a box of parts he gave me. Ugh ... he even shot better!

I try to disagree in a cordial manner and hope it doesn't come across too harsh. I have to go make mashed potatoes (rather be out shooting!) but happy Thanksgiving to you Sir and shoot straight.

Where I disagree is you have no way of measuring cant. I've done a lot of construction and flying that require leveling. I wouldn't fly without a way to verify my wings are level because sometimes the environment around you tricks you.
Scope levels run from 35 to around 90 bucks, depending on type, there are a few ridiculous priced options out there, I doubt they are that much better. The actual bubbles in them look like a 1 dollar piece, I am curious how you measure cant with one.
If you want to prove me wrong, take a ballpien hammer and knock the level out of your instrument panel on your plane and land it with a scope level, I'll buy in then. Or build a bridge with one, but I'd really enjoy some vid of you showing up to work with one.
A couple weeks age, we were doing some ELR blasting, friend put a first rd impact on a IPSC at 2K. His previous hit was at 1600, no level.
I for the life of me could never sharpen a knife, I bought a wicked edge system, now I do pretty darn good job. Does everyone need a WE system to sharpen? Big fat NO, it is my crutch, and I don't even want to overcome it.

Scope levels run from 35 to around 90 bucks, depending on type, there are a few ridiculous priced options out there, I doubt they are that much better. The actual bubbles in them look like a 1 dollar piece, I am curious how you measure cant with one.
If you want to prove me wrong, take a ballpien hammer and knock the level out of your instrument panel on your plane and land it with a scope level, I'll buy in then. Or build a bridge with one, but I'd really enjoy some vid of you showing up to work with one.
A couple weeks age, we were doing some ELR blasting, friend put a first rd impact on a IPSC at 2K. His previous hit was at 1600, no level.
I for the life of me could never sharpen a knife, I bought a wicked edge system, now I do pretty darn good job. Does everyone need a WE system to sharpen? Big fat NO, it is my crutch, and I don't even want to overcome it.
Any scope level, including a $5 amazon special, can give you a consistent level to shoot from. I don't think you need a $100+ one just like I never needed a high end framing hammer. When you are shooting from canted surfaces mainly steep hillsides in jagged mountains, the adi in your head doesn't always compute level. Do what you want but you can't (hehe) argue the science :)

btw, was the target level that he was shooting at?

:)

btw, was the target level that he was shooting at?
LOL, who cares, the guy holds wind, I am sure his hold was 20 feet off the side of the target, he had nothing to level off of.
But I'll take this gem out and get a reading.
level.jpg

LOL, who cares, the guy holds wind, I am sure his hold was 20 feet off the side of the target, he had nothing to level off of.
But I'll take this gem out and get a reading.
Kinda matters because if he lines up his reticle with a LEVEL target that gives him a constant level line to shoot from. Call me crazy :)
Hold off rather than dial for that distance with wind??? Interesting

I don't believe you will find that you can get 137 grains in a 300 Rum/edge case. Lol
And a good day to you also.

Hi Ernie!!!

I still see you still are your still fighting the good fight LOL...Some people just don't really get it. I'm headed to deer camp later today, we'll have to get into a PM when I get back.

Ps cant wait till we can get back to busting rocks! Keep passing on your great wisdom!

Kinda matters because if he lines up his reticle with a LEVEL target that gives him a constant level line to shoot from. Call me crazy :)
Hold off rather than dial for that distance with wind??? Interesting
I suppose, most of our ELR targets are static, rigid mount, tough to level in any terrain. Most guys I shoot around hold wind, no dial. I am probably the only one who has some dialed wind but my wind is zeroed on a previous target, and holding for the next one if advancing in distance. If I need a cold bore, I will have enough dialed wind where my aimpoint is no more than 3ft off the side.
A feel good for you, my ELR rig sports a level, the rest of my 6mm's that are 1600 yard capable do not.
You and I are never going to come to terms, so I am out.

I suppose, most of our ELR targets are static, rigid mount, tough to level in any terrain. Most guys I shoot around hold wind, no dial. I am probably the only one who has some dialed wind but my wind is zeroed on a previous target, and holding for the next one if advancing in distance. If I need a cold bore, I will have enough dialed wind where my aimpoint is no more than 3ft off the side.
A feel good for you, my ELR rig sports a level, the rest of my 6mm's that are 1600 yard capable do not.
You and I are never going to come to terms, so I am out.
There should be more agreement when math is involved. Either way, good day Sir

There should be more agreement when math is involved. Either way, good day Sir
NO, our separation stems from your need to over complicate matters. You lay your rifle over at 15 deg, problems arise, 1-2 deg, not so much, especially on shots over 1K in distance. For now a slew of other variables enter, will a 2 deg cant act as a multiplier, of coarse it will, but at a minor influence, heck, your unknown cant either direction may now act in your favor and may aid in a missed wind call.

Hi Ernie!!!

I still see you still are your still fighting the good fight LOL...Some people just don't really get it. I'm headed to deer camp later today, we'll have to get into a PM when I get back.

Ps cant wait till we can get back to busting rocks! Keep passing on your great wisdom!
Hi Mark, good luck to you on the buck season.
Not sure how much longer I'll be driving that far, but i am going to at least try this year, and we will see about next year.
Second week only for me this year.

NO, our separation stems from your need to over complicate matters. You lay your rifle over at 15 deg, problems arise, 1-2 deg, not so much, especially on shots over 1K in distance. For now a slew of other variables enter, will a 2 deg cant act as a multiplier, of coarse it will, but at a minor influence, heck, your unknown cant either direction may now act in your favor and may aid in a missed wind call.
How do you know how much cant you have without a tool to measure? Do you shoot or hunt in mountains? Why wouldn't you remove every variable you can? Doesn't seem overcomplicated to me :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.