Is this normal? loading for my .308....

Duff

I've loaded for 4 or 5 different cartridges for the last 10 years or so. Most I've been able to get to shoot reasonably well with out too much work. This .308 I'm working with seems to either really like a load or not at all. I kinda figured a .308 would be less finiky then some of the more overbore rifles I've had(.25-06 AI, 7 mag ect.) (loading for my .223 is a breeze) but groups seem to go from 2" or 1.5" down to 3/4 moa with a 1/2 gr. powder difference? Do you consider this normal? Seems like my .223 will either shoot a bullet or it won't (working with the load produces better accuracy, but none go from 2" to 1/2" that quick) part of me says "heck, be happy-you got it to shoot!" but the other part of me wonders why it is so dramatic? Your thoughts?

Typicaly the 308 isnt that finiky. Most of the time it will like several bullets and several powders at a wide range of charges. There are exceptions to every rule. Typicaly, optimum barrel length and twist for a 308 is 24-26" and 11-13" twists. That doesnt meen any thing else doesnt work, just that there are ussualy optimum features for a given set up. If you have a load that works well, be happy with it. If it continues to bother you, try new powders and also differant 155's. 10 twist is quite fast for a 155 and 20" is quite short. You may have better luck with 175's, 178's, 190's and 200's and medium burning powders such as VARGET, RL-15, 4064 ect...For your 155 in the 20" tube you might want to try a slightly faster powder such as BENCHMARK or RL-12 or 4320.

Hope that helps some.

PS, the 155 SCENAR is exceptionaly long for a 155, it might be more ballanced in your twist.

I was kinda surprised that my rifle would shoot the 125 TNT's as well as it does. I used benchmark with them, maybe I'll give BM a try with the 155's. Thanks for your help-Duff

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts