Is there trick to loading 257 WM

bob4

I'm going to attempt loading for a friend that taught me the basics and is having trouble with a 257 WM. It's a cooper rifle, 1/10 twist pretty certain a 26 inch barrel with brake, Timney trigger.( no idea on the brake) Maybe 100-200 rds through it. He really wants to shoot Barnes TSX 100gn.
I've read some on here where some like to seat these bullets deeper, keeping an eye on the grooves. I'm good with trying that and also various powders. I'm looking for proven powder choices here. I think I'm interested in RL 22 and 25.
I'm looking for any info that might help me along here. He had gotten rid of another 257 WM because he had trouble getting it to shoot well. So maybe there is something I'm missing here?

I ought to toss in here he/we'll be using fed mag primers and Norma brass normally. He also finds a seating depth first then works on the charge. Much like I do.

I always shot 7828ssc in my 257, everything from 100 to 120 grain I could always find a good node, with great velocity. 100's at 3750, 120's at 3450.

I have a custom .257 WBY with a Krieger barrel with minimal freebore on a M700 LA with a long magazine.
I seat close to the rifling with a long overall length. You have to drop the powder charges because you have a normal throat. You cannot used factory ammo.
In your rifle you can load closer to the rifling if your magazine is long enough but you have to decrease powder charges. You will get the same velocity and pressure with less powder. Years ago P.O. Ackley disproved the freebore theory as one of the Weatherby sales gimicks. In addition, some of the WBY. factory ammo is loaded to high max. pressures.
I use Barnes TTSXs with my best accuracy around 1/2-5/8" groups.

I think you will be good with RE22, RE26/25, H1000 or Retumbo.
I use the latter 3 in my 270 Weatherby with very good results.
I load to mag length and get very good accuracy .010"-.020 under max mag length.

There is nothing special about Weatherby chamberings, just load as you normally would and go shoot some groups.

Cheers.
:)

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4928827#post4928827
attachment.php

The only powder my S-I-L could get to shoot decent out of his 257WBY was H1000, but he was using cup and core bullets.

H1000 was best for three .257 Wbys I've loaded. We tried several bullets and found the 115 Berger most accurate. A friend in California shoots the lead-free Barnes with H1000 in his.

I always shot 7828ssc in my 257
All my Weatherby chamberings seem to prefer 7828 or 7828ssc. Federal primers if you can get them.

I agree with the starting .030 to 050 off and moving back from there. Barnes recommended seating depth is also a fine place to start and move out.

There are many good slow burning powder for the 257 WM,of which RL-22 is one. In my 257 with a 117 gr Sierra Gameking I use a max load of Rl-22 with a Wea case, and an oal of 3.265 and Fed 215 primes. Accuracy is .75 MOA and vel is 3350 fty/sec from a 24" barrel. If you are new at reloading espically for belted mags, don't forget to set your sizing die up to headspace off the shoulder. If you set it up to head space off the belt , case seperations will likely result. JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.