257 wm

remingtonman_25_06

I'm about to start working up a load for a friends new 257 WM for antelope season which is only a short month away. Its a custon built stainless bdl rem 700, w/26 lilja, w/ rem mcmillan stock, built by Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge. Very nice rifle.

He gave me 100g NBT's and H4350 to start the work up.

But, first I have to finish breaking in the barrel and mount his 3-9 leupold in leupold bases/rings. He only shot 5 rounds w/115g Berger VLD's to start the break in process but he works out of town and does not have a lot of time. He knows I love to work up loads for rifles and usually pretty good at it, so hes letting me have at it. He only has 20 brass for it and the 15 are still loaded with the 115g VLD's. I plan to shoot 3-5 shot groups and then scrub it down and it should be pretty much broke in then. He bought a Redding neck size die set so I'll neck size them and start figureing on a load w/100g NBT's and H4350.

Anybody have any luck with this combo??

According to quickload, 64.4g is MAX for a velocity of 3563fps w/H4350. I was thinking of starting at 61, and go to 62, 63, and 64, 3 shots each, so that would be only 12 shots. Depending on how those shoot, I'll go in .5g increment to find the sweet spot if need be. So should find a load that will shoot 3/4" or better at 100 yards within the next 20 rounds. I'm not sure how it was throated so hopefully it dont have that long freebore to not reach the lands, I"ll find out later tonight by denting a fired case neck and chambering it with a 100g NBT.

keep you all posted on load development.

Here is a few pics of his rifle. Thought maybe some of you 257 WM fans might like it. Scope is a Leupold vari x 2, 3-9x40 (for now) in Leupold std bases and rings. Its actually a pretty heavy rifle IMO. I dont have a bathroom scale, but I bet with sling, ammo, bipod, it will be close to 11 lbs.

Will be headed to the range in the morning to finish barrel break in w115g vld's and fire 1 test load with 62g H4350 and 100g NBT's. Then I'll have to come back and resize the 20 brass and go the next week to work up to 64g or 64.5g.

ame009.jpg

sqpgg6.jpg

5yyh4p.jpg

On another note, the 100g NBT is to short to reach the lands, so I just seated it a calibers depth, .257". The OAL is 3.385" Figured I would start there and see how it goes before I tried them seated any deepter. I typically have better luck no more then .020" off the lands, but thats just not gonna happen with this bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts