Is the 6.5x55mm Improved considered a long distance cartridge?

Not much love expressed for the older cartridges like this, but what a beauty: (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/6-5x55mm-bjai.136371/)
My very first long range cartridge was a 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf Mauser '96 with 24" barrel. Back then (1990) we shot Swedish military 139g FMJ at 500 metres, 600 metres and 800 metres in our military rifle competition. At that time, due to the amount of surplus rifles in Australia, that and the 303 were most popular, the 6.5x55 was far flatter shooting and was a great performer. The Swedish ammo was not anaemic like US factory ammo, was Berden primed and very accurate, It was surprising that it would often print .5 MoA groups.
The AI version is just more of a good thing if using modern pressures.

Cheers.

My very first long range cartridge was a 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf Mauser '96 with 24" barrel. Back then (1990) we shot Swedish military 139g FMJ at 500 metres, 600 metres and 800 metres in our military rifle competition. At that time, due to the amount of surplus rifles in Australia, that and the 303 were most popular, the 6.5x55 was far flatter shooting and was a great performer. The Swedish ammo was not anaemic like US factory ammo, was Berden primed and very accurate, It was surprising that it would often print .5 MoA groups.
The AI version is just more of a good thing if using modern pressures.

Cheers.
I just gave my Swede M96 to my son, he's been asking for it for years. It's a death ray, amazingly accurate with the old Sierra 160gr SPRN GKs and diopter target sights, it also has the micro-target sight on the service ladder sight. At 100 yards it's always in that 3/4" to 1/2" moa range, the trigger on this one is glass smooth. Cheers

M96 target  001 - Copy.jpg
M96 target  004.jpg
M96 target 003.jpg
M96 target 002.jpg