Is the 243 really that good?

Skinny Shooter

Have been reading thru past posts in this site about the 243 and also saw this article at 6mmBR.com:
High-Velocity 6mm for Long-Range, Varminting, and Tactical Use
Aways back, got the bug to try something different and was considering a 22-250AI, 243AI or 6mmBR. Had planned to re-barrel a VLS to one of those calibers. Since then I've been reading more about using a standard 243Win and the success of this caliber out to 1K.
I shoot groundhogs. No, I live to eliminate as many of them as possible... So that will be the primary use for this rifle.
Oh yeah, so they don't feel left out, throw coyotes in there too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Several questions:
Anyways, how far can I expect to kill a groundhog/coyote with the 90gr Wildcat, 87gr Vmax, 105gr Amax, 80gr Nosler BT etc.?
Since Remington chambers the VLS in 243 with an approx 1 in 9 twist, should I sell my VLS 308, buy a new rifle and start shooting? Approx price of a new gun is $600 give or take. Groundhogs are out and don't want to wait till Summer is over for a finished rifle.
Or should I have a smith put a 26" or 28" SS custom barrel on my current blued VLS short action?
If I want to seat longer than factory OAL, should I get a long action and have one built in my VLS stock?
If I were to re-barrel, would it be better to go with the 243AI right away? Is there a big difference in velocity? Have heard that case life is extended with the AI version but is is worth the extra effort?
Thanks,
Allen

[ QUOTE ]
Yep

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thats a lot of questions, which one do you want to get answered first...it seems like a lot of the questions come down to personal preferance...

No realy the 243 is a great round for everything from deer on down to mice and the 243 Ai just makes things a little better , better case life a little more velocity and a cool looking case.
I'm not positive if a 1-9 twist will stabilize a 105A-max but I know a 1-8 will and it will kill woodchucks out to 1000yds. , the 75gr V-max makes for an awsome blood show out to 500yds.

One question though , how well does your 308 shoot? if you got some decient groups with a 175gr Match King you already have a 1000yd chuck gun. The 243 will shoot a bit flatter but out past about 400yds your gonna start to dial in for the bullet drop anyway so the biggest factor is gonna be the wind and the 175gr MK is pretty good at bucking wind.
Hell if you can get the 178gr A-max to shoot well then it to is a great bullet.
But if your gonna rebarrel I'd go with either a 260 or a 243Ai. both will kill vermin out to 1k

But don't give up on that old 308 you may have a dimond in the ruff , maybe with a simple bedding job a recrown who knows. I have a buddy that bought a VS in 308 and it would shoot around the 1moa mark with match factory ammo
he had it accurized , piller and glass bedded , recut the crown and recut the chamber worked the trigger and now it shoot around the 1/2moa mark all the way out to 600yds with several factory loaded rounds.

The 243 is great, me and Bill Bailey had a hell of a fun time with his at 1k. A good setup would be a 243 AI, the shoulder on the std 243 is pretty dull, in a 1-8twist bbl and shoot the 105 or 115 berger. I love the AMax but the bc is better on the berger, both should expand well

good luck

steve

Skinny, I've read the 6mmbr.com article and have been circling around the 243 myself. All the arguments already given in the previous posts.

For me, barrell life is a serious consideration. The 6mmNBR or a 6,5x55/260 can give you 4-6000 rounds for accuracy. That's 3 barrells to 1 and in my wallet those numbers makes a dent.

While the .243 is a great round, I see no reason to go w/it over some of the smaller capacity 6mms. The 6BR or 6-250 will rival the standard .243 performance wise and give you much longer bbl life.

I shot out my Savage .243 in about 1500 rounds. Kirby just finished putting an 1-8" twist Broughton on that gun chambered in 6-250. Should get the same 1000 yd performance but w/longer bbl life and less recoil.

lovdasnow: all of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
JD: The VLS 308 shoots well and have used match bullets for chucks. Made my longest shot with it using Speer 168gr match. Upgraded last year to a VSF in 308 which shoots great. Maybe you saw the thread about "my crappy remington"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now I'm using the Wildcat 169.5gr rbbt hp and it punches holes through them.
Lerch: I agree the AI version does have some kewl factor going for it.
Thanks Sierra, good to hear from you.
Bill, what velocities can I expect using a 6mmBR with the bullets I listed above? Are they really that close to the 243?
Hornady, Nosler and the Hodgdon manuals list the 6BR as being 2 to 300fps behind the 243.
How do you hit the 3100fps mark with a 6mmBr using the 87gr Vmax? I saw this page: Varmints Loads Link and the velocities are incredible.
Would a 3 groove or 5R barrel be better for the 243 to extend barrel life?
What type of barrel is best for the 6mmBR?
I don't have a case of magnum'itis but I hesitate to go with a shorter case than the 243. Maybe that's unfounded.
If I connect on a groundhog at 800 yards (wishful thinking...) with the 87gr Vmax or 90gr Wildcat, I want to kill it, not have it crawl off. Groundhogs are tough critters.
Can the 6mmBR feed from the magazine in a 700 action?
Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for your help everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First off, don't waste your time w/the 87 gr. Go to the 105 gr. I don't know the velocities on the BR but I'm know GG has a couple of them and I'm sure he will tell you what he has been able to obtain. I'll let you know what I can get out the 6-250 in a few weeks.

Any custom bbl will serve you very well. I think it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other personally.

How do you get 243 velocities with the 6mmBR?
Will the 6mmBR feed from the magazine or is it a single shot?

Bill, will the 105gr reliably kill groundhogs at 6mmBR velocities or is it just some of the time?

Hi Desert Fox.

[ QUOTE ]
243 is good but 6MM Remington is better. IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
The manuals say both cartridges are almost identical.
Thanks.

In my experience the 105 Amax gave me reliable expansion out to just over 1000yds. Obviously it is not dramatic @ this range but it is good enough to kill a pd. They are very explosive @ closer ranges.

Thanks Bill, how about groundhogs? If I read between the lines, a 105 that expands enough on a little PD, should expand more on a heavier groundhog?

What velocity were you using the 105 at in the past?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.