The good and the bad. It really torques me.

4ked Horn

Well we went hunting this morning, my bro and I. we parked the truck and trailer and unloaded the ATVs. We drove up in the hills in a foggy sprinkle about 5 miles. We spotted a decent buck. Small horns but a good size body and since you can't eat the horns my bro decided to take it. Wasn't a hard shot and the buck died quick and clean. We dressed it out and loaded it up for more driving. We drove to the end of the road and headed back to the truck just as the real rain moved in. We arrived back at the truck almost exactly at noon which would have given me plenty of time to go home and change and make it to work on time....

....WHEN LO AND BEHOLD!!!!

Some worthless *** jackass had slashed both tires on the trailer and one of the tires on the truck.

What makes me the most angry is that this person had no regard for what potential harm they could have been doing. What if there was a hunting accident? What if the people or person who's truck and trailer they vandalized was elderly? What if we didn't have a cell phone?

luckily none of those scenarios were the issue this morning. I still cost my bro a few hundred to replace the tires. We still had to deal with the problem in the pouring rain. It still made me lose a day of work.

Well we are still planning on going back to this spot since we have 3 doe tags to fill but tomorrow we are putting the game camera in the tinted rear window of the truck and if we catch the bastard on film we are certainly going to take him to court (if we don't lynch him first. (That is me trying to be humorus even though I'm pretty frickin angry right about now.))
wall.gif

Well if you were doin' everything by the book (not taking your truck or atv's in areas where motorized vehicles are prohibited) and being courteous to other hunters. I feel bad for you and I hope you catch the guys. No excuse for that kind of behavior if you weren't doing anything wrong. I have seen people that deserved the aforementioned treatment by blowing others hunts by tearing around with their atv's and spooking all the game in the area, even in national forest where they are prohibited.

devildoc, ***, just because somebody does something illegal does not make it OK for you to do the same!

By your reckoning, if you saw somebody driving ATV's where they don't belong you feel that you can slash their tires? Well perhaps They might feel the same way as you! They see you slashing tires so they send a 308 through your skull...OK, all is even!

If you decide to take the law in your own hands then accept the consequences...RIP.

edge.

As a matter of fact there are lots of instances where you are perfectly legal to immobilize a vehicle if the owner is commiting a crime. I personally know a guy that immobilized an ATV in some backcountry where motorized vehicles are prohibited, called the warden, and was thanked by the game warden. Not to mention the ATV guy had his ATV confiscated and got a healthy fine. As for the sendin' a .308 at a guy who is immobilizing your vehicle when you are breaking the law. Explain that one to the police,....you'll get another chance to explain it to all the occupants of cell block C, that is if you don't end up dead yourself.

I'm sure 4ked was playing by the rules and didn't deserve having his property vandalized. I was just saying that alot of guys out there have been so aggravated by alot of other ATVers that they end up doing something wrong and stupid by screwing up the day of a guy who was playin' by the rules.

OK, how do you know that these were not paramedics out to pick up an injured hunter?

He bleeds to death due to your stupidity...welcome to Cell block C!!

edge.

4Ked and his brother were in an area legal to have ATV's, and this was confirmed by a IDFG law enforcement officer prior to them riding in there, and the county sheriff that came up to investigate the vandalism would have written a ticket if there was a problem.

There were no other hunters in the area.

Yep guys, legal hunt with legal right to travel the road we traveled. In fact we chose it because it is a gated road but the chain on the gate has no lock on it. this is to contain range cattle. It is one of those areas where the fish and game dept has obtained the right of passage from the property owner for hunters to travel through to get to a wildlife management area. It is on the map as legal but it isn't widely advertised. My bro called the fish and game dept the day before yesterday to ask about the access and was told that we had the green light to use it as do all the other hunters.

As for drawing the line between immobilizing and vandalism, we were the ones that called the county sheriff to the scene not some well intentioned nitwit with a pocketknife. And if somebody is going to immobilize another persons vehicle they better be 110% sure they know what they are doing or they might get that high speed puncture wound to their vehicle. As many of the regulars here know I am a disabled hunter and immobilizing my vehicle may amount to life in prison if it is their fault I don't make it home alive or lose a limb trying to walk for help. People used to be hanged for stealing a travelers horse and boots for just that reason. Someone slashing my tires may very well result in their vehicle being "immobilized" as well if I catch them in the act. I think my idea of a game camera and prosecution is definitely the higher ground. But it is not my responsibility to help a vandal safely along his way. It is my responsibility as a father and husband and the chief breadwinner to arrive home in one piece with the ability to continue gainful employment. That's why I defend my property and my self and why I want to catch this turd on film.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, Idaho has laws against the harassing or preventing of hunters to engage in a lawful hunt. If we catch the person we are going to throw that one at them as well.

I apologise for my overzealous posts if they offend anyone.

I do hope that you catch those SOB's.

edge.

Why do they do it??? Its a retorical question guys.

I met a buddy who had been hunting, he was in the dark, no torch (he learnt that lesson well) and some SOB had slashed a tire. Lucky for him it was only one. Four guys in a car went passed and I stopped and helped him out, he was lucky. We usually reserve this kind of activity (slashing of tires) to poachers!!

Hope you get em and throw the book at them, can't you guys defend yourselves if you get them and they resist?

Happy hunting in more ways than one.

WOW! You guys scarin hell outa me!

Lil different down here if you dont have a ATV, you just cut yourself off from about 50% of the available public hunting...you cant get there in a truck! PERIOD! If its an ATV trial here thats all thats allowed and well some roads just aint fit for some of the best $X$ trucks.

I can leave my ATV parked at the end of a trail leave the keys in it be gone all day and it will be sitting right there when I get back....untouched(my truck also at the trailhead).
Ive read in here where someone shot anothers ATV....ATV in the right or wrong it doesnt give you the right to shoot it? Hell do you know why that ATV is there? US Fish and Wildlife ride ATV'S in MS not always but they need em to get there the same way a hunter does. What you think he's gonna do you launch a bullet at him or his ATV? by the way the only way youll know is that badge on his belt and he carries a Glock not a rifle and its on his hat in camo.

This thing with shooting someone....YALL READ THE LAW LATELY? And if you would shoot someone because they ruined a part of your hunt on public land(HELL on private for that matter)...Well maybe you should look at a another passtime.

By NO means am I condoning or saying its OK for someone to vandalize anothers property at all, break a hunting REG, cut anothers tires, tresspass, 100 other things I could think of(or have seen). But some of us are talking taking a mans life for it....that goes back to the TEN COMMANDMENTS!

Face it not everyone is equal in their ways of life but your always gonna have the bad apples that just didnt come up with the word "RESPECT" in their lives.

What to do about it.....carry a cell phone and have the correct numbers in it...and it never hurt to ask someone if they knew what they were doing was wrong. Face it some folk just cant read a map....a hunting regulation or any thing else for that matter.

Easiest way to put what Im tryin to say is DONT DO SOMETHING STUPID TO SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY DID SOMETHING STUPID THEMSELVES!

4ked horn Ive been in your shoes it sucks to be the victim of such a pointless attack....If your still wondering why they did it....because you beat them to thier lil spot and they were to stupid to continue on with their plans...and somehow figured they wanted to make you suffer just cuz you got there before they did. You did the right thing and reported it and I too hope like hell you catch em....

I have seen BS like this get way outa hand and sometimes the end result aint what anyone wanted!

Ive had bullets hitting the tree I was in...was I ****ed hell yea but the shooter had NO idea I was even there(he sure couldnt see me) was he doing anything wrong NO, I could see the deer he was shooting at I just happened to be on the other side of them. Rifle bullets cant see either.

Ive been wrongfully accused of looking for a lost hunter and approached by a **** idiot "HE ASKED WHAT YOU DOING JUST SHOOTING AND HOLLERING EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES" and fired his rifle 3 times into the air and walked away. I was 14 years old sitting in a treestand and knew a hunter was lost and that his searchers were on the next road over and had been doing that fire 3 and holler for about 2 hrs when I was approached by the **** idiot. Who felt like the **** idiot he was when approached at his truck by myself the law and my dad I dont remember the fines and such he got but remember the incident very **** well 23 years later.

FELLAS JUST THINK IT THROUGH AND DO THE RIGHT THING!

ok im done!

Nyles

Sound like some one do knot want you to come back there to Hunt again .

If I was you I would go back there as Much as the could an When I Parked the Truck I would put up 6 trail Cam's . an go hunting an Kill all the Game that he want to Hunt .

But to keep it in the Law .

What state Do you Hunt In ?

Redbone

Redbone,

That idoit story happened 20+ years ago...on a AL management area T.R. Miller state of AL lost the lease so its been closed to public hunting for years...sure was some fine hunting in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.