Is tactical really not practical?

Other than the M24 and M40 stocks I don't find the tactical stocks very practical for field use. They aren't built to carry and they aren't built for shooting from anything other than the prone or resting on a platform.

I shared your idea for years but the more I packed a rifle around the more I came over to the practical side of thinking.

I believe your experience speaks volumes in regards to the vast variance in preference among the shooters here. As our experience grows we increase our understanding of our preferences & what fits our needs.

As an example, I have come to despise the grip angle of the "traditional" stocks, just can't stand it. As 99.999% of my shooting is prone, heavy & rigid is where it's at. Long barrel for the extra velocity, heavy scopes for their robust nature etc.

The last two customs added to the safe should easily exceed 15lbs & that is perfectly acceptable, to me of course. What's good for this goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

As an visual example: My most recent completion.

7SAUM  (2).jpg

t

To keep it short and sweet... Unless your weapon is your lifeline, and you are depending on it, tactical is rarely practical. There are few (very few) exceptions, but for the most part, anything tactical is not going to be practical to tote around.

I believe your experience speaks volumes in regards to the vast variance in preference among the shooters here. As our experience grows we increase our understanding of our preferences & what fits our needs.

As an example, I have come to despise the grip angle of the "traditional" stocks, just can't stand it. As 99.999% of my shooting is prone, heavy & rigid is where it's at. Long barrel for the extra velocity, heavy scopes for their robust nature etc.

The last two customs added to the safe should easily exceed 15lbs & that is perfectly acceptable, to me of course. What's good for this goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

View attachment 43907

This my rig type tact type love the ergo for shooting.338NM bare rifle is 9-2oz.10-11# depending on scope.Last 2 animals to get crushed by this were offhand combined yards 100.Should just been packing my 30-30

Attachments

• P2150037.jpg
    P2150037.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 65
All I'm saying is that most of the time my opinions and preferences are those of unpopular opinion. I'm all about building a tactical long range rifle that is heavy, stiff and impractical to the 'standard'.

It's all good brother :cool: Just making sure I understood what you meant.

t

Back on subject:

I have a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 5 (A5?) on my 338 Edge Weatherby Mark V. I love it.

I would probably not go back pack hunting with it at over 15 lb but I'm ooollllllddddd. Not really but stuff is starting to hurt. I got an Eberlystock with a scabbard. 6lb over a 9lb rifle is not much.

Back on subject:

I have a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 5 (A5?) on my 338 Edge Weatherby Mark V. I love it.

I would probably not go back pack hunting with it at over 15 lb but I'm ooollllllddddd. Not really but stuff is starting to hurt. I got an Eberlystock with a scabbard. 6lb over a 9lb rifle is not much.

Thanks for the input

I am one of those guys that doesn't have one rifle for each type of animal/hunt...

I built my midrange all around rifle last year. It is a tack driving .270 sub MOA out to 650 yards for ground hogs, fox, coyote, bobcat, whitetail, black bear, muleys, elk, pronghorn etc.... I'm not saying I will take a shot at an elk that far unless i am in ideal conditions but for the most part I can hunt with just about anything with it.

This year I am building my long range rifle. I plan on hunting 650-1000 yards for the same animals where possible. I bought the Remington 700 Sendero SF II as my base chambered in 300 WIN. I always wanted to build a "tactical" long range rifle but it seems that isn't very popular in the long range hunting world. I am not a fan of the HS-precision stock that comes on the sendero. It is a very well built stock but just does not fit me right at all. I am looking to replace the stock with a B&C Medalist A5 fully adjustable. Being a former Marine, I am and always will believe in and enjoy the tactical realm. A tactical build vs traditional long range build is pretty much what I'm trying to weigh out.

Anyone have any ideas/experience either way? Any info is much appreciated.

There are plenty of others here who think along the same lines you do. Here is an old article on this site to illustrate the point:

Practical, Tactical Or ?

View attachment 43907
I really like the look of that stock. Who makes it?

McMilllian's A3 sporter they came out with a couple of years ago is a really nice melding of tactical and practical as well.

The old M40 however to me is just a timeless design that will never be out of style for a guy who likes tactical but wants to be practical for a hunting stock.

All I'm saying is that most of the time my opinions and preferences are those of unpopular opinion. I'm all about building a tactical long range rifle that is heavy, stiff and impractical to the 'standard'.
Which makes perfect sense for a dedicated LR Rig. My "Beast" is a 15lbs tack driver that I love and which piled up a large volume of game this year but I have others more practical for packing around.

They all serve a purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.