Is it the truth, B.S., B.R., or Ego?? Questions..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I am here to tell you that if it changes POI after 20 rounds, then IT WILL CHANGE DAY TO DAY even if you notice it or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's total BS...
So where do you draw the line? 100 rounds? When the barrel turns red and starts to droop? You started with ten and now its twenty...
Please raise your hand if you shoot twenty shot groups from your hunting rifles..Anybody??..Nobody??...That's what I thought...
If the rifle always shoots to the same POA, without shifting zero, and all you ever shoot is three shot groups, AND you never shoot more than three shots in a row in hunting conditions, then ten, twenty, or 100 shot group information is irrevelant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>AND you never shoot more than three shots in a row in hunting conditions <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And who has never done that????

Boyd--
I agree with your post.
A well built built rifle will be consistent... BUT--shooting multiple rounds(over 10)in a hunting rifle to intentionally heat the barrel to see if it shifts is IRREVELANT information, if that rifle will never see those conditions in the field.

All I'm saying is "I" test with 20 on "MY" guns and don't care what brand. Also that it is a "DEFINITIVE" test.

You believe what you like. If you have no interest in seeing that. I really don't care.

If you think that there are guns in this world with no construction issues (read problems), then you have a lot to learn. In another earlier thread there are complaints about this being a "place to learn" and that people should give out information as that is what this board is all about. SO, I give some that's probably the best information you got in this thread and you keep burying your head in the sand so you won't see this.

O.K.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>When the barrel turns red and starts to droop? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well I'm here to tell you.My "HUNTING" guns will shoot where they are supposed to until that happens.

Nope, never had to...
I can usually hit what I'm aiming at in the first three...
If I didn't they usually wouldn't hang around to find out what's going on...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> if that rifle will never see those conditions in the field. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>...Who is to say if that will never happen???

OK guys, whatever...I also have rifles that will shoot with the best of them, regardless of the number of rounds( they shoot very consistently in F class and tactical matches - 30-40 rds)... And, if you feel you have to abuse the barrel to "test your theories", so be it... I'm sure the barrelmakers will love you...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>...I also have rifles that will shoot with the best of them, regardless of the number of rounds( they shoot very consistently in F class and tactical matches - 30-40 rds)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.Then you have Great shooting gun.That is the difference between a "good" gun and a "great" gun...

Chris,

I never claimed you didn't.

If one of your F-Class guns can shoot 30-40 rounds, then why cant a heavy varmint barreled gun? That's abuse? Harold Vaughn SPECIFICALLY overheated barrels to improve the accuracy thereof. I've done it to my 30-416, 80 rounds in 95 degree heat. I had to cool the barrel because it was so hot I could smell the stock starting to smoke. I ran it under a faucet. Then proceded to win Either 3 or 4 of my next 5 Heavy Gun relays (with a light gun) to finish the season. (I then proceded to tear it apart and ruin it so I could learn) but I wouldn't say I hurt anything would you?

At least when someone says something that makes sence (not very often) I listen, and if it involves a test, I go test. You people on the other hand already know everything so there is nothing more to learn, regardless of how easy it is to prove or disprove. If you build guns and you believe that 10 rounds down a barrel will dammage it, then I would start there.

I am more than willing to hear someone elses method of testing and if it makes sence, I will absolutely try it. I have yet to hear a way to test that works better than the repeated shooting. I mean, repeating is exactly what we are trying to test, isn't it?

Please include a sound bite with the next photo so I can at least hear the wind if I can't see it...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>If one of your F-Class guns can shoot 30-40 rounds, then why cant a heavy varmint barreled gun? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never said it couldn't or shouldn't.. What I am trying to say here is that there is no reason to abuse the barrel of a perfectly good huntng rifle if it has proven that it can do all it will be asked to do in the field. If it is a varmint rifle that may shoot 20 or 30 rounds, the by all means go that route in your testing. But if it is a hunting rifle(big game), especially an overbore caliber, why waste valuable barrel life testing for some unrealistic measure that won't mean anything in the field?

And yes,

Several barrel makers do very much like me. And not for the barrels I purchase... But for the very unique TESTING I do with them.

Is that better STL.

[ 03-02-2004: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Ummm...I'm not sure I wanna know any more about the unique things 4mesh does with his barrels... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
rolleyes.gif
I would think you could come up with something better to say than that STL.I expected better from you...

[ 03-02-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.