Time for the truth

Opinions are like - - - holes. Everybody has one. Including me. It's not a perfect world. LRH is not a perfect practice. It's all constantly evolving. Mindset, technology, opinions, experiences and interactions always shape each of us. Keeping a open mind allows opportunities to learn happen.
We all make choices in life. Some good some bad. It's how it's always been. How it always will be.
Hunting is a dying heritage in our world. Only by sticking together and learning, supporting each other can it be passed on to future generations.
Just my 2 cents

If you like a less orderly forum join up at Snipers Hide.
I think his point is the site is run by too many fan boys that easily get their panties in a wad when someone posts something they don't like.
Snipers Hide is worse in that regard....
It is the new norm in our society. When someone posts/ says something that is contrary to what another thinks/feels/believes, there is no tolerance for it and no discussion. Only shouting down and irrational reactions.

I think his point is the site is run by too many fan boys that easily get their panties in a wad when someone posts something they don't like.
It is the new norm in our society. When someone posts/ says something that is contrary to what another thinks/feels/believes, there is no tolerance for it and no discussion. Only shouting down and irrational reactions.
Seems to be how it is on most forums. There's always a few that can't help themselves. Some forum bosses police the threads thoroughly and others don't.

Seems to be how it is on most forums. There's always a few that can't help themselves. Some forum bosses police the threads thoroughly and others don't.
He should try FarceBook.

I joined this site because I hoped it would be what 24 Hour Campfire was 20 years ago.

I even ponied up to join LRH team.

In my 64 years behind the handgun, rifle, shotgun and bow, hunting pretty much everything in the lower 48 and competing in many match events, I have accumulated a bit of experience.

I am also a certified Curmudgeon. Don't put up with fools too well, especially those that have never worn the uniform not hunted (and been hunted by) the most dangerous game.

Sadly I was wrong. The site owner is here, as there, a pawn of a cadre of "men" who are in complete charge of the site. If you cross them or confront them with inconvenient facts, (A 338 RUM cannot be made to have the same recoil energy as a 243) you are subject to name called, veiled threats and calls for banning.

PC is also in full force here. When the judgement of a hunter wounding an Elk with a bow, following it into dense cover and getting killed is questioned ---- well you are a "meanie" and should get the "ban hammer".

Members here also seem to have a complete inability to confront the negative aspects of long range hunting. Never mentioned nor considered are the difficulties of killing an animal at long ranges. All we see are the good outcomes.

In my 64 years of hunting I lost one animal. A bowshot deer, found several days later. I still think about what I should have done.

By way of example, hear the story of a hunt in 2017 (I was only 75).

After 17 years I drew a resident Sheep tag here in WY.

A lot of research connected me with an excellent outfitter. We all met up at his base camp. Five of us, 2 30s something Elk Hunters, 2 40s something Mulie hunters and me.

The first clue was when the Mulie hunters required an extra packhorse to carry in their 200 pounds of Pelican cases.

After the 6 hour ride on Mountain horses ( I own a 16 hand 1/4 horse and ride a lot) we arrived at the tent camp in the Federal Wilderness.

After getting settled, we all gathered for a brief and lunch. The discussion, as always, turned to background and equipment.
The Elk hunters had quality bolt guns and optics and had hunted all over NA. My equipment, Benelli R1 300 WM, Nightforce 2.5-10x32, shoot 1 moa to 400, was regarded with interest by the Elk hunters and disdain by the Mulie boys.

The Mulie hunters 200 pounds of equipment consisted of two 12 pound 300 custom 300 WM with multi 1000 $ scopes and every piece of equipment under the sun. They told us what experts they were back in the MidWest at banging steel out to 1000 off benches and bipods and planned the same on this Mulie buck.

So the hunt commenced. The Elk hunters passed on several bulls that were too small. They finally connected on a fine 5X6 at 275 yards.

I went off with the outfiitter, on horses, up to where where Bighorns live. After days of glassing and passing up many rams.
we finally spotted a "shooter" at well over 1000 yards. Then we began "Hunting". Using terrain and cover we got to 280 yards. Resting over my day packed I killed my ram. (photo below).

Meanwhile the Mulie hunters had gone off (needing 4 horses) with an experienced guide to set up on a known Mule Deer route. As the guide later described, they could have set up at 400 yards but insisted on being at 700. After deploying all their technology they waited. That afternoon (after the famous WY winds came up) a decent buck appeared walking across a snow cover slide. Hunter #1 sent 5 downrange, with his pal spotting and never touched a hair until the buck, unalarmed, walked into the black timber.
The next day (the last) back to the same spot (in the dark). It was #2s turn. After day break (no wind) a good buck appeared and bedded down in the open. Same game plan and after only 5 shots the buck was hit and killed.

After hearing the story from his guide, the outfitter decided, after one experience he was done with long range hunters.

As one old timer I knew here in WY told me: "son you a'int hunting Elk till' you can smell em.".

Photo 2 below was an Elk killed at 18 paces with a 61 caliber Baker flintlock. (Sharpe's Rifles). I could smell him. The cover was an absolute jungle. The guide and I did not follow up until: I reloaded, handed the guide my S&W 329 and waited 30 minutes. When I found the Elk (he went 20 yards with a .610" hole thru both lungs), the guide and I stood 10 yards away on the side facing his back, head downhill with the 44 mag trained on him while the guide threw large rocks at him. He was dead.

I enjoy the forums, have bought several items from the classified, tried to help based on my experience.

That may not be enough if you twist the wrong tails.

Be interesting to see if this post survives the day won't it ?

Best wishes to all.

View attachment 212363

View attachment 212364

Here here here

I salute you sir!!!

HUUAAAHHHH

I am not bashing anyone. You need not turn this into name calling. I only pointed out my experience here. The site owner is incommunicado. The "contact us" choice at the bottom does not work.

Again you issue the veiled threat. Why are other points of view such a threat ?

If we were sitting across the table and I made the same points, would you tell me to get up and leave OR could you make a reasoned discussion supporting your position ?

And we wonder about the political divide in this country. No Tip ONeills or Scoop Jacksons to be found ?

Tip O'Neil, Bob dole and Reagan working together is epic!!!

Of course we are now showing our age lol!!!

😉

1. Glad you've survived this long. So many soy-boys might make you want to kill yourself.
2. Do you want some pate and bread with that whine?
3. My psycho-therapist said I was a mass murderer in a prior lifetime. I burped my reaponse.
4. Nice ram and elk.
5 (edit to add) why is it stripper bars are euphemistically referred to as "gentlemen's club"?

Lmfao!!!

The one thing I have to agree with is the absolute refusal to talk about the negatives of a long shot. Talking about those bad shots is how you learn from mistakes, its not "ethics" its facts. And fact is far too many "bang" a plate and think they are ready to shoot live game at extended range. The fact that wind reading is not much of a topic tells a lot. As a person shoots more on paper at distance, where distance from aim points can be measured, the more they realize they are human. I build long range rifles for a living, and in skilled hands I think its the most ethical kill a guy can make, but I despise the $$$$ marketing that makes guys think its easy if you open your wallet. Im sorry but if your range only goes out to 300yds you can not learn what the wind will do to your bullet at long range. Your apps can only take you so far.

Like most forums, there is excellent info here. You just need to sort through it.

Ain't nothing funner than taking " an experienced east coast long range whitetail hunter"

To coos County oregon
Burns Oregon
Imnaha Oregon
Newport Washington
Walla walla Washington

Take them to a SINGLE DRAW/CANYON bigger than all of the forests IN THEIR WHOLE STATE....

Put out 10 paper plates 0-600 yards....

They have NEVER seen conflicting winds.....

Never shot 600 yards DOWNHILL at 30 deg angle

Never seen a sunrise wind swirl...

I personally have seen less than 6 hit 10 plates, 1 swat sniper, 4 ex military, 1 a logger from Maine with acpre 64 30-06 he bought new in 50s and was his 1 gun.....

EXPERIENCE TRUMPS TECHNOLOGY

Honestly this sounds like an old guy who ran out of batteries for his police scanner and posted something to watch the fire works that develop. You see that on most forums.

IMO, this forum doesn't work like that. Seems like the owner or maybe the users are too busy working and studying long range hunting.

If you want to judge me based on two mule deer hunters you met on a high dollar guided hunt. Judge me. That level of hunting is common amongst that crowd but I don't judge you for going on a guided hunt.

This post reminds me of why I don't like high dollar hunting. Just because you spent $20000, doesn't make a person a hunter. You just have to get out and do it. Am I opposed to Gunwerks Rifles? No. I'm offended by folks that shell out $10000, maybe get a day of hunting with somebody else calling hold and now the know it all now. Still, there are tons of hard working folks with more disposable income than I, that can buy a great Gunwerks rifle, learn the craft, and enjoy some long range hunting.

If you want to talk ethics, start that thread. If you want to discuss more with me, PM me, I'll even share my phone number if you want to chat.

To me, the ethics are simple. Can I hit it with a lethal dose of projectile and energy/velocity? Yes equals ethical.

I hope you got what you wanted out of this thread.

Pretty odd first post, I'll admit. I do like to joke around as I don't think everything has to be deadly serious all the time, and at first I thought it was tongue-in-cheek. And I too, wonder about all the 100% kill shots at 800 yards, with animals that never take a step and winds that never swirl half a mile away. Nothing is ever gut shot, nor crippled. Having said that, this is a long range site, and even if you limit yourself to 400 yards on big game there's still tons of good info here and you likely won't be banned unless you don't like Nightforce or are an outright jerk. You should see the debates on a popular public lands hunting site where there are a bunch of near commies mixed in with us rednecks. Someone made the mistake of posting a Blue Lives Matter thread and you should have seen the fur fly. At least we don't generally have a lot of politics here. So, stick around or don't. Life's too short to not enjoy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.