Is it possible for the bore and the chamber to be non-concentric ?

. I just know that (good) barrel makers DO straighten barrels if needed.
Define good? Because unless ive missed it over the years ive never seen Bart, Krieger, Brux, Lilja, Proof, Douglas etc claim to straighten barrels.
I'm not here to argue either, just enlighten me if I'm wrong and show me were they claim to straighten barrels.
You dont have to induce heat to induce stress its quite the opposite enough heat relieves stress.

Define good? Because unless ive missed it over the years ive never seen Bart, Krieger, Brux, Lilja, Proof, Douglas etc claim to straighten barrels.
I'm not here to argue either, just enlighten me if I'm wrong and show me were they claim to straighten barrels.
You dont have to induce heat to induce stress its quite the opposite enough heat relieves stress.
(I was a heat treat technician many years ago. I'm well-versed in hardening, drawing & normalizing)
YOU are the one who wrongly stated that no barrel maker straightens barrels!!!
You were wrong- get over it! I'm done with this.

Also I forgot to mention dud barrels, you cannot make Strawberry Jam out of pig shite! The best machinist cannot make a defective barrel into a winner, high quality blank good action and great machining. I am a big Sako fan because they're consistently good accurate rifles any custom builds I use their actions as well. Latest 22-250 AI on a model 75 action. New SS 26" barrel, standard stock bedded
IMG_7420.jpeg

(I was a heat treat technician many years ago. I'm well-versed in hardening, drawing & normalizing)
YOU are the one who wrongly stated that no barrel maker straightens barrels!!!
You were wrong- get over it! I'm done with this.
Wow dont get but hurt, you need to reread my post #51 were I said I should have specified custom barrels.
As far as Stress relieving I've probably made and stress relieved 3,000 or so rifle barrels so I have been around the block.

Simple answer is this, regardless of type of pilot used, a reamer, any reamer, wants to follow the rifling and not the bore, which can make it start eccentrically to the bore…it just happens. Any barrel maker will tell you the same, it may not be common knowledge, but it is more common than you might think. My custom barrel on my 22-250AI barrel is off by about .015", and I use all the best indexing tools you can buy…oh well, it happened.

Cheers.
did you try shooting this barrel out of curiosity to see how well or not it would shoot? I bought a 7mm barrel on ebay 27 inches long and chambered in 7br so I figured it was probably a quality barrel , got the barrel and it had the most impressive reamer chatter marks I could imagine probably 50 serations about .020 from the high's to the lows looked like a fine grit box end wrench. I put a piloted .284 win reamer in the existing chamber and fit it to the rifle and my chamber is out of concentric by I would approximate a third of the height of the lands, I need to shoot it just out of curoisity to see what the result is. I would guess the badly chattered chamber was also not eccentric and my reamer followed. I haven't had this problem before

did you try shooting this barrel out of curiosity to see how well or not it would shoot? I bought a 7mm barrel on ebay 27 inches long and chambered in 7br so I figured it was probably a quality barrel , got the barrel and it had the most impressive reamer chatter marks I could imagine probably 50 serations about .020 from the high's to the lows looked like a fine grit box end wrench. I put a piloted .284 win reamer in the existing chamber and fit it to the rifle and my chamber is out of concentric by I would approximate a third of the height of the lands, I need to shoot it just out of curoisity to see what the result is. I would guess the badly chattered chamber was also not eccentric and my reamer followed. I haven't had this problem before
Yes, it shoots sub MoA, not real good for what it was intended for, but just fine for 300 metre competition on not blustery days. My 6.5x47's see much more use for that shooting these days.

Cheers.

I would think that if the barrel is centered in a lathe when the chamber is cut and reamed,
then the chamber would always have to be concentric with the bore, because that is how
the rifle bore itself is cut. Same with the barrel threads.
The outside surface contour of the barrel also must be concentric for the same reason,
although this is of somewhat less concern.

I'm trying to eliminate things to worry about. If the brass or ammo is out-of-round, that can be
dealt with separately and solved. I'd really like to believe that the barrel is never part of some
out-of-round problem.
Quite simply every barrel has a non concentric bore/chamber/ID/OD/threads,etc. Every single one. The better the machinist and equipment the less non-concentric the aspects of the barrel will be. Garbage skill or garbage equipment are how garbage barrels are made.

Recent Posts