Is barrel break-in really needed for factory guns?

My grandpa was taught in the army circa WWII how to clean a rifle. Their method then: swab gun oil down the barrel from the muzzle 5 times, then dry patch it out twice. If gun oil is low, then use soapy water! They also weren't trying to shoot 1/4 moa because they thought it impossible.
Since that time, we have gotten much more knowledgable about this sport, but there still continues to be fellows who literally say, "Ah, the best way to clean a gun is to just shoot another shot and blow out all that copper!".
Does it feel like we are reverting back to ignorance when we hear someone say this?? If you say "NO" then you probably don't believe in barrel break-in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's the article from the Chuck Hawks website. It is only two rifles but the test is well thought ought IMO.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

This test corroborates the accuracy claims of the Tubbs system but I can't say anything as to their claim that the Tubb's system is different from Fire Lapping. I wonder if the claims of increased velocity after using their system are due to lower friction or not. Would degradation/erosion/polishing in the throat area result in an increase in the bullet velocity? I frankly don't have a clue. However, I like the results they have gotten with respect to accuracy--it is very interesting and might just be worth a look. I've made no final decisions either way.

Matt

Here's the article from the Chuck Hawks website. It is only two rifles but the test is well thought ought IMO.

Affordable Accuracy

This test corroborates the accuracy claims of the Tubbs system but I can't say anything as to their claim that the Tubb's system is different from Fire Lapping. I wonder if the claims of increased velocity after using their system are due to lower friction or not.

This IS a great article and induced me to do the Tubbs FinalFinish system on my Sendero. I took thier advice and used only the mildest three rounds, since I was getting .5" groups already.
I now shoot .5" at 200 yards, and hit my first wood chuck sized target (12" x 4") at 600 with this rifle.
I cleaned after each 5 shots, not 10, but I'm picky about a dirty barrel anyway.

I also use a product called Accuracy Restorer, made by Ox-Yoke Originals. It is a nonabrasive cleaner that outdoes everything I have tired so far. Only Butches bore shine has yet to face Accuracy restorer head to head in my barrel - I dont think Butch will beat it either.

Brian, I'm no BR shooter or super shooter but when I have 2 rifles that were never broken-in and they shoot under 1/2 moa I tend to agree with Jerry's thinking.

My 30-30 gets 1/2MOA groups at 300 yards, that accuracy factor really isn't something to base these conclusions on.

Baaaaaaaah! Suckered into an old thread.

Last edited:
Brilliant digging up a post from 5 years ago so you can stand on your soap box
Well, maybe you have some input on the CONTENT of the post, rather then the age of it?
Fact is, the Gale McMillan analysis is as valid today as it was then, the only difference is that now a days people want the fdast and easy solution not the time tested results oriented work that goes into a rifle that shoots well.

If you want to tell me I'm on a soapbox, thats your business.

If you want to tell me that the "Barrel break in" procedure has merit I'd like to hear why.

I just finished my barrel break-in for my 300 wby. Accumark this week and this for me was also my first barrel break-in my previous 2 rifles both Browning A Bolts 7 mag and 300 wsm I did not break-in. The main reason I did'nt break the barells before is because I did not know I was supposed to. I did with my Weatherby Accumark because Weatherby and Krieger Barrels says to. I did the Weatherby break-in from there web-site shoot 1 clean for 10 times, shoot 3 clean for 10 times (2) boxes of shells. The cheapest they sell 180 grain spitzer from Mid-way $33.99 a box. This took me 2 range visits and about 4 hours very tedious. What I found out is that my groups got tighter and by the time I finished my barrel was very easy to clean. I sited in @ 1.5 inches high at 100 yards with 180 accubonds after 5 shots and 2 clicks right 1 click down my group was inside an inch. After that it only took 5 patchs passed through to be clean I used nothing but Bore Eliminator the entire process. I will be doing some practice shooting with this gun but mainly just checking to make sure she is still on during hunting season.
If I would not have broken this barrel in it would have take me a couple or three hunting seasons to be at this point. I think breaking in a barrel also from a common sense kinda a thing has alot to do with how much you are going to shoot a particular gun. For example I will shoot my 7mm-08 and .22 hundreds of times this year. When you are going to shoot that much you can break-in as you go along.

So you think that shooting several rounds and cleaning after each shot changed the finish in your barrel enough to tighten up your group?

So you think that shooting several rounds and cleaning after each shot changed the finish in your barrel enough to tighten up your group?
I got less fliers towards the end of the (Barrel break-in). MikeMurf you are probably right I just paid so much for this gun I tried to go my the manufactors recomendations. I did happen to look at Noslers web-site at there new high-in rifles one of which looks just like the Accumark except no fluted barrel and and they have a under 1 inch moa guarantee on there rifles after you shoot 20-40 rounds. Then again this might make your point since they sell bullets and rifles.:D

Barrel break in was never heard of until what...5 or 6 years ago?

My most accurate guns were never broken with this method, and Gale McMillan has won enough national competitions to make a believe out of me.

Fire lapping is a different story, I see the value of that in a barrel that is not lapped at the factory.
Thats my last word on the matter.
Best regards.

Armalite had a break in procedure in their manual back in the mid 90's. Bartlein has
a simple theory about throat break in on their lapped barrels. Worth a read and is
a lot less cleaning than most procedures. No set round counts involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.