Is a Winchester action worth building on

Thanks, it's my first Winchester bolt gun and not very knowledgeable about there actions. They are hard to find around here so I took a chance and bought it used even with some neglect to the crown. It felt to good to sit back down

The Laredo is a model 70 action with nothing against it that I know of.

In the hands of a good rifle smith there would be not much of a reason why is shouldn't be made into a shooter.

The Winchester action is a good action to build a LR rig depending on which generation action you have. The Pre-64"s are superb, the push feed models tend to have a weak extractor design and the earliest models, a sloppy bolt. The late model Pre 64 style are good actions, however, it's a good idea to have your gunsmith braze the serrated sleeve that press fits the bolt handle to the bolt body. I'm not sure if this has been corrected on later models, but these have been known to loosen at the sleeve on rare occasion. It's a simple step, and once done makes it a great action.

Absolutely YES!!!!!
At one time, Win Model-70's were one of THE go to actions to build on. Between my dad & I, we have quite a few Model-70's from all generations. Well all except the newest ones from FN. I'm sure well own some of them too as soon as we get a decent economy again. (construction is tough when noone has any reason, or incentive to build.....) Maybe well get a couple next year if all goes right.
But anyway Heck Ya! You've got a solid platform to build on. I'm a die hard, & very bias Winchester freak tho, so my response may be slightly swayed....:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts