Anybody build on Ruger actions??

i have a ruger #1 .204 that shoots 1/2 3 shot groups out of the box....im shooting of a sandbag so i bet sombody with a nice benchrest and more experince would be able to make it shoot very nicely...im 16 and trying to get in shape for basic training for the marines (i eventualy want to be a scout sniper) and i know that shooting is a small part of being a sniper and all of that....

good luck in basic for the marines. I am 20 and leaving for the army basic training in 2 weeks. i wanted to be a sniper as well, but my senses came to me. I think i have the shooting part halfway down, but the more i talk to the people that do it, they say shooting is about 5% of it. the other is all mental and physical aspects. good luck.

Lol I was hoping to go into the military as a shooter I beat myself into shape over an entire summer only to find out I am color blind and a simple shoulder injury threw me out of anything I wanted to do. I love ruger #1's .45-70 ss lam stock is a hog killer >:) Good luck with the basic...btw go swim..alot..then when you think you have swam enough time for a good run.

I have a couple buddies that were military sniper , one Marine and one Soviet Spez-Naz , both say that the field craft is increadibly hard and it something that you have to be born to do. The russian fellow said that one of the hardest things he had to do was make a creep accross a section of open type brush land with a serious case of the squirts , he said the hardest part was laying flat on you stomach and crapping pants.
Anyway both guys have seen active combat and both say that they have made shots on human targets and neither have any regrets. both guys work for a Private security company in Iraq right now.
I do have a close friend that was a sniper in the NG and is now a SWAT sniper , he to hase made shotson human targets several in combat and once in LE work the latest one being in LE , that one realy bothers him. Shot was about 50-60yds at night through the back window glass of a truck.What bothers him is the mess it made and the trauma that the wacko's wife and child had to see as they were both in the truck.
So I would say that the mental aspect has a majority to do with it

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.