Building on a Winchester "push feed?"

James Jones

Building on a Winchester \"push feed?\"

I have a Winchester M70 push feed heading my way and I was wondering if they are worth building on , I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of a custom gun being built on one.

Any of you fellas have or see one

Any of the smiths hear have any comment on building on one?

Re: Building on a Winchester \"push feed?\"

James,
I built a LRH rifle for a Winchester fanatic friend of mine. M70 push feed #7 taper 300 WSM. It shot very well, I say that despite by preference for rifles that start with an R and end with an N. If you like it and it is in good shape don't hold back go ahead and build it. I believe that the R700 is superior in design for out and out accuracy but you can build a good stick on the Winchester.

I would take a push-feed over a 700 anyday. Since you are asking the question I assume you have not had much to do with push-feeds, if so, you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Far easier to load, easier to do the trigger, integral large recoil lug, three-way safety, never heard of a bolt handle breaking-off - my push-feeds will shoot with my 700's and 40x's easily.

Pillar-bedding in Marine Tex or Steel Bed probably does the same job of securing a flat-bottom M-70 as it does a round profile M-700?

JDJones,

I am on the same page as Shawn on this one but will freely admit that second to a Rem 700, I love the Win M70 push feed receiver to build on. I think its vastly superior to the CRF M70 for accuracy work.

The bedding is a bit trickier to get perfect but with a quality bedding job(pillar preferably) they make a great platform to build on.

311833.jpg

This is my personal 6-284 which is based on a Win M70 HV varminter fitted with a Lilja 30" #7 fluted SS 1-8 3 groove and using the factory varmint stock.

I get 3450 fps with the 107 gr Sierra MK and groups in the 1/5 moa range at 500 yards if I do my part.

I uesd this rifle to score my first +1K one shot kill on a rock chuck.

311834.jpg

So while I am a huge fan of the Rem 700 I have no problems using a Win M70 push feed for a basis for an extreme accuracy rifle. In fact I have these receivers in the shop that I am going to build personal rifles on, a LA and a SA. Just need to figure out what I want to build on them and find the time to do it!!!

Later, if she is put together correctly it will shoot extremely well for you.

Kirby Allen(50)

Might as well throw in here too: Nothing wrong with a Winny. craigp's 7 mag is on one- I have a 300 on one and have built dozens more......they will definitely keep up with a 700 and have a FAR better trigger.

I will second Chris's opinion of the trigger. My 6-284 has its factory trigger in it that I tuned to a true 8 oz and it has proven completely safe, consistant and reliable. Harder to tune but capable of serious trigger quality compared to the factory Rem 700 triggers!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Like Chris said, he built my 7RM on a M70 action that I sent to him. I had the same question you pose when I was considering this project. I would do it again in a heartbeat (and probably will soon). Personally, I like the Win action better than the Rem. In my eyes, both are about equal in accuracy potential. It's the smith that makes them truly shine. Send it to a good smith like Chris or Kirby and worry more about improving your own skills as a shooter than the ability of the rifle.

Hi

I have a rifle that is built on a M70 action.
The barrel is a 24½ Lothar Walther #2300.
I havent hunted with it long range. Best 5 shogroup at 500m
is 6.7" (This was the 5 time i ever shot at 500m so with some practise it will be smaller)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.