Anybody build on Ruger actions??

James Jones

I have a Ruger short action here that I was thinking about building on maybe a hot 22 or 6mm but I'd like it accurate.

If I spend the funds on a good barrel and chamber it in an accurate caliber like 22-250 Ai or 243Ai hell even 6mmBR can they be made to shoot as well as the REmingtons ??

most any receiver can be made to shoot well, true it and mount a good barrel, I have Mausers and Savage rifles that can shoot with the best of them.

With enough money the answer is yes, but the question is why spend the money?

The aftermarket parts for Rem and rem clones is much better. You can buy a Borden clone right now for $600, comes with trued recoil lug, BR firing pin and spring and is rem footprint. You will spend at least $200-300 trying to true the Ruger and not sure if any really good triggers are available for the Rugers.

BH

kind of been wondering the same thing about a ruger I have. I've got a good trigger in it, not bench rest, but it does the job(timney).

I think I'm leaning toward the rem way, but would like to hear more about this topic...

Based on my experience the easy answer is no.The front recoil lug is a nightmare to bed,yes it can be done but ya gota make sure the screws stay at the exact same tourque or it starts wandering.
Had the local smith put an 8twist Shilen barrel chambered to 22-250 on my old Ruger tang.The bore is off so far I have to put two pieces of aluminum can material in the back base just to get it to zero.Is it the threads ,the action,the barrel???It is REAL fussy with what load it likes and is very irratic...depends on the day(it could be me for that matter)The other custom I've got(308Baer)was built by a reputable smith and shoots great but he will be the first to tell ya he would rather build on a Remington.
The other problem with a Ruger is the Scope bases,ya they work good for most applications but try to find a 20MOA base to use it for long range.
Not trying to talk you out of a Ruger,to me they are the best huntin gun going but for driveing tacks its a lot easier and cheaper to start with a Remington.
Try to find a smith with a trueing jig for a Ruger,if you find one please let me know as I've got a project for him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr. Jones,
I put a 27" Hart light Varmint contour in 243 AI on a 77. I had the McMillen Hunter Class stock inletted for the 77. Also had a muzzle break installed on the bbl. The rifle shot as well as my 700's, shooting the center out of the 100 BR target at 100 yards while fireforming the Rem 7/08 brass necked down to 243 (neck turned of course). I shot the 70's at 3850 with the gun feeding out of the magazine perfectly.

Hope this helps!

I've got a mod 77 mk II that was trued and rebarreled in a 243 AI. I extremely happy with the setup and the factory trigger job that Kirby did for me with this out of the box ***. See my post with pics of the rifle and email me if you need any other info.

Do any of you Ruger shooter think any problems would be had chambering the short action for a 6mm BR ?

Not completely sure why but this round has my full attention right now. This rig will probably just be a plinker and maybe deer at short ranges out to 200yds and probably a learing type gun for my son and nephew.

Hell who knows by the time I get this thing ready to build I'll probably be intersted in somthing else

don't mean to highjack this thread as I also am looking into getting my ruger rebuilt..but are you the same JDJones that runs SSK? just curious? if so I would like a 300 whisper for my birthday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry not the same guy , just same leters , I diden't even think about that till somebody else asked
I'm James Domonic Jones from Slidell Louisiana

I tell you what though , if I win the 365 million dollar powerball tonight I'll have JDJones build you one personaly hows that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have 2 customs built on Ruger actions 1 is a tang safety 7mm-08 with a 24" Hart barrel the other is a MK-2 25.06 with A 26" Hart barrel both rifles shoot less than .5 moa the 7mm-08 normaly shoots ragged holes with Sierra bullets both rifles have been extensively customized by my gunsmith {my dad} and they are simply not for sale. at the present time I own 11 Ruger rifles so I might be a little partial to them chad

No one's going to believe this but I built a Ruger #1 that shoots dimes at 200 yds. On the long range stuff it's equally impressive. It has a Lilja match grade SS 26inch barrel, a Kleppinger set trigger, leupold 8.5x25x30mm scope, and the for-end freefloated part way and glass bedded the rest.It's a 22-6mm wildcat with a 1 in 9 twist shooting a 75 gr. Hornady A-max bullet.It also has a tension screw in the hanger that puts pressure on the barrel. It's certainly no big deal to get a Ruger #1 to shoot well once you understand the process.Regards, Dale

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.