Is a new factory bore clear coated?

JPShooter

Hi all, first post here!

I just got a new Savage Mod. 10 FCP-K and have taken a look down the bore with a scope and it looks as if the entire bore surface is clear coated. Is this a practice to inhibit rust while sitting on the shelf awaiting sale?

I may be imagining or seeing things, but that's what it look like to me.

Thanks for any input,
Jake

Hi all, first post here!

I just got a new Savage Mod. 10 FCP-K and have taken a look down the bore with a scope and it looks as if the entire bore surface is clear coated. Is this a practice to inhibit rust while sitting on the shelf awaiting sale?

I may be imagining or seeing things, but that's what it look like to me.

Thanks for any input,
Jake

Hello Jake. I have never heard of this "coating." Many firearms makers will test shoot a rifle, roughly 3 shots, box it up and send it out. Regardless, before you shoot it, clean it thoroughly, and dry patch out all oil, or solvent prior to shooting, always. Never shoot a "wet" bore (due to oil, solvent, or anything), as you risk bulging the bbl.

Good luck. I've been hearing very good accuracy things about Savage in the last 10 years.

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the reply and the reminders!

I can see the copper from the test shots in just a few spots, but it looks like a layer of clear coating is sitting on top of the entire bore surface.

It may be that I am not used to looking at surfaces such as these through my new borescope yet, but it looks very different than the bores of my other rifles which have all been fired for years.

I do in fact have a new Mini-14 that has not been fired yet and it's bore looks different from the Savage's, by that I mean it looks like bare metal.

Oh well, time to clean them out and do some shooting.

Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.