Rem 300 RUM Factory Free bore ?'s...

In all honesty, I have NEVER found a rifle that didn't/wouldn't have more than 1 sweet spot in regard to distance from lands.
My comp rifles have extra freebore built into them to soften the ramp up to max pressure. This helps dampen the bullets take up of the rifling resulting in better accuracy.
I also have a couple of hunting rifles that have very generous freebores that still shoot tiny groups with .150"-200" jump.
I also have Weatherby chamberings that you cannot touch the rifling with the bullet in the case neck, it simply doesn't reach, but they also shoot very well.
I would try .050"-.080" and .120", if your mag box allows, and shoot it and see, you may be surprised.

Cheers.
:)

With the new Redding VLD seater installed I was able to get an additional .065" added onto the depth before. I'm still shy of Kissing the lands with the 230 OTMs.
But with the Hornady 212 ELD-Xs I can Kissing the lands +.010" to spare

So it has to be the longer 230 OTM tip, bottoming out in the seater die, that's not allowing me to seat the bullet out far enough to Kiss the lands.
But it is a factory Sendero barrel, so....

If your freebore, is .089, that's not as bad as some. My last 300 rum, 2011 vintage, had .250 freebore. BUT, it drove tacks. The Weatherby rifles, all pretty much have freebore as well, on the propriotory calibers anyway.
I'm told its where the velocity comes from, and the lack of high pressures. Otherwise, some of the velocities would not be possible, and still maintain SAAMI pressures.

The jump of .089", is the jump to the lands in a maxed out reloaded 230 OTM in a Redding Comp Die.
The Kiss the lands CBTO in my factory 300 RUM Sendero is 3.191"
In a factory loaded Hornady 300 RUM 220 ELD-X the CBTO is 2.937
So I'd say the free bore in this factory barrel is ~ .254".

The jump of .089", is the jump to the lands in a maxed out reloaded 230 OTM in a Redding Comp Die.
The Kiss the lands CBTO in my factory 300 RUM Sendero is 3.191"
In a factory loaded Hornady 300 RUM 220 ELD-X the CBTO is 2.937
So I'd say the free bore in this factory barrel is ~ .254".
That sounds about right from what I've seen. That being said, it does make it interesting to find its load. Good luck my friend.

My factory Remington barrel had ~0.500" of freebore. It would shoot certain loads at just under 1 MOA.

I replaced that factory barrel with a Krieger 5R, cut with a chamber that has 0.098" freebore and a 0.343" neck diameter. Now, the gun shoots 0.4 MOA with only about 40 rounds down the tube. I also have a Wyatt's extended box that allows 2.825" OAL. With the 0.098" freebore, I'll have ~ 0.075" to chase the lands and keep it inside the box.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.