Free bore

floyd kittrell

I have a question . I just had two factory customs built and had told my smith to give me more free bore due to my preference to shoot monolithic bullets which are long in comparison to lead bullets of same weight . I told him I did not mind my loads being too long to fit the magazine and if my loads set out were more accurate I would shoot same rifle as a single shot . I have not contacted him yet and before I do , I know there are a number of gun smiths on this site ,I would like to ask your advice . Even had one of the rifles made as single shot for same reason and also because I wanted a hybrid lighter weight #5 Mcmillan stock and they would not guarantee it as a repeater. I have said all that to ask this .
Question : Can he go back into the barrel and machine cut the throat deeper so I can seat the rounds out further or am I stuck with the barrels as built ?

Thank you in advance , Floyd

Not to hijack the thread, but I do have a question? If one were to lengthen the throat would they increase their barrel life? Assuming that if this were to occur you would have to seat your bullet out more as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.