Rem 300 RUM Factory Free bore ?'s...

Earnhardt

I have a Rem 700 Sendero 300 RUM with a factory 26" barrel.
I'm finding out this barrel has a lot of free bore.

When using 230 Bergers and setting them up to Kiss the lands, the CBTO is 3.191"
But when I set up the Redding Comp bullet seater the max CBTO I can get is 3.104. For a free bore of .087", and that's with the longest bullets I can find, the Berger 230's
The Redding bullet seater will NOT adjust any farther out.

In comparison, my 338 Edge has a kiss the lands CBTO of 3.033".
And the 338 Edge Redding Comp seater works great for that.
But notice that's .158" less that the kiss the lands CBTO in the factory 300 RUM i have.

I know Rem 300 RUMs have alot of free bore, but what is my fix here. In regards to getting the bullets to Kiss the lands, or at least get to within ~ .010" of the lands

The accuracy in the barrel with reloads, is 1/2 to 1 MOA, so there's no complaints there.

Does Redding make another bullet seater insert that would allow for longer seated bullets that could remedy this?
Or am I outta luck?

Thanks

I've never owned a 300 RUM , but a Sendero 7mm RUM I owned had over half an inch of jump from mag length to the lands , that's right, .500+ jump . The good news is that it still shot well with Berger Hybrids. I loaded it using standard RCBS dies.

Be aware that the freebore is there for a reason, after having experience with a short throated 7 ultra I will say that is not always in your best interest to be seated on the lands. I have not had that issue with my 300's but there is always a possibility that unexpected pressure could show up.

Ya, I'll watch it when I run it out to the lands.
It works great with my 338 Edge...at the lands it's unbelievably accurate.

The die is adjusted all the way out. Anymore unthreading and the top of the die will screw off

Thanks

May sound kind of redneck, but maybe put a stop lash up on the ram, like below the body of the press, have used a worm drive hose clamp, to get you sorta in the neighborhood, then fine adjust with the die. Can't remember WHY I did this, only that it worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.