Is 180 grain Bullets in 308 Winchester “Too much of a good thing”?!

It's actually my universal 165-168 grain hunting load. Gets 2700 FPS out of my short 308s. Start with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck. Not counting boat tail and work from there. Most times you will be a bit long but still fit in the magazine and chamber. The bullet you mentioned was THE only exception. I guess this load wants a tiny bit of compression.

With such short barrels you will have very low impact velocity that will lead to a small expansion. I would go lighter with the short barrels. They will also have a very large drop in trajectory even at 300 yards. If shooting up close they will shoot but will not be optimum in tour short barrels. The 20" would be the only one I'd use them in.

It's actually my universal 165-168 grain hunting load. Gets 2700 FPS out of my short 308s. Start with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck. Not counting boat tail and work from there. Most times you will be a bit long but still fit in the magazine and chamber. The bullet you mentioned was THE only exception. I guess this load wants a tiny bit of compression.
Why give out hunting loads that won't fit in a chamber or magazine?

Why give out hunting loads that won't fit in a chamber or magazine?
You misread.That Bullet chambers and fits in the mag. Better accuracy came deeper in the case. Longer than 2.810 standard. As you know, with ogives for typical hunting bullets that's about all you're going to get anyway before you hit the lands. Tipped bullets become the exception. And they all fit in the magazine. AICS mags are shorter than any factory mag. Thus my comment start there and adjust accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.