TOO MUCH BARREL

8x68s

I have a 6.5-06 custom-built with a 30" heavy barrel, 1:7 twist. The result is a 12.2# rifle. Thirty inches seems to me to be overkill and I'm considering cutting as much as 4" off to make a more portable but still heavy for caliber rifle. Not worried about giving up velocity and that loss is understood. Not interested in going "AI" to make up velocity. I load 130-140 grain bullets. Any tech thoughts or advice? Thanks for weighing in!

I have a 6.5-06 custom-built with a 30" heavy barrel, 1:7 twist. The result is a 12.2# rifle. Thirty inches seems to me to be overkill and I'm considering cutting as much as 4" off to make a more portable but still heavy for caliber rifle. Not worried about giving up velocity and that loss is understood. Not interested in going "AI" to make up velocity. I load 130-140 grain bullets. Any tech thoughts or advice? Thanks for weighing in!
Nonsense, my .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 1:8" sendero + MB or suppress. 😇

Last edited:
If you want to go Ai I would consider 22 inch. This makes them very handy and gives optimal length if you ever decide to run suppressed!

With your case capacity…..I suspect that anything over 26" is getting into "diminishing returns". For hunting (carry use), a 24" barrel should give you good velocities and a very practical/comfortable/manageable firearm! JMO! In my preferred hunting environment…..a 30" barrel would need a "barrel hinge" just forward of the forearm! 😉 memtb

With your case capacity…..I suspect that anything over 26" is getting into "diminishing returns". For hunting (carry use), a 24" barrel should give you good velocities and a very practical/comfortable/manageable firearm! JMO! In my preferred hunting environment…..a 30" barrel would need a "barrel hinge" just forward of the forearm! 😉 memtb
that's the sort of tech I was hoping to hear... thanks! 24" length is where I am going with this.

I had a couple 28-28.5" 6.5-284's, basically a twin to the 6.5-06. I also had several 24-26". It's a bit odd i suppose but I hunt with a can exclusivly now and run shorter barrels, overall length hasn't changed much. Obviously the shorter barrel isn't really shorter due to the can. For example 1 of my prc's is 18" and with a 7" can is 25". So having played with this entire process for quite some time I think 24-26 is fine for that cartridge but the contour etc will dictate how the rifle balances for you. It's a compromise game and generally for long range hunters that 100 fps doesn't mean a lot but it does mean something regardless, and that's a personal choice.