1-7 twist too much ????

Freedom2live

Hello there folks, my question is am getting a new custom barrel for my ruger m77 243.. I am shooting 105 bergers and A-max.. I changed my mind for 1-8 to 1-7, I think it would stabilize that bullet better than 1-8. I dont think I am over revving that round. ... what you folks think ???

Hello there folks, my question is am getting a new custom barrel for my ruger m77 243.. I am shooting 105 bergers and A-max.. I changed my mind for 1-8 to 1-7, I think it would stabilize that bullet better than 1-8. I dont think I am over revving that round. ... what you folks think ???

In my opinion a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 would be better.

The really fast twist barrels are hard on bullets (They have to start very fast and can engrave
poorly). if you want to end up with a very fast twist rate you might look into a gain twist barrel.

For accuracy most bench rest shooters go with a slower twist to get cleaner engraving of the bullet.

If you were shooting something very slow like a subsonic the 1 in 7 would work.

Most of the 223 rem shooters tried the 1 in 7 and even the 1 in 6 and went back to 1 in 8 for the best accuracy.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

IMHO 1-8 is plenty of twist for the 105's.May even work with the 115's depending on temp and barrel.

So your brother 1-7.5 is not working ??

no, it is working . just not up to his expectation, with 80% or so of the bullets actually reaching the target. the problem is he spent around 4000 for the rifle and his expectation was that 100 % would hit the target ( kind of like parachutes , you want them close to 100% reliabilty). interestingly my 1-12 twist 243 shoots awesome.

light bullets- i shot the 1-12 .243 in my first ever 1000 yard match. i used a mixture of the the 87 horn and the 88 berger. i was shoooting against a bunch of guys that had shot before. it included one shooting 107s in a 243 , another shooting 80s in 223. scores were 264, 57 and 19 repectively ( 300 possible) . i guess it depends on what you are shooting at . i consider them "just right" for what i shoot at with that rifle..

1-7 twist is really only needed for the very heavy weight bullets, this fast a twist can be hard on jackets making it hard to find the rite bullet and load

My gunsmith at hart barrel says its optimum twist because my 243 aint shootin past 3000fps. There therefore its going around 2856 fps.. it makes sense, also I read about how crapy made bullets will disintegrate with **** bullets. . I ll give it a try.. good shooting at 1000

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.