Introducing "Checkmate"

Randy,
Just wondering how the new rifle is shooting? Where did you end up with charge, seating depth, and velocity.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon, she is shooting really really well. I've taken it to a thousand and it is right on the money. I ended up at 74 grains of H1000, COAL of 3.68 and it is at 3007 fps.
I'm still fiddling with seating depth but it seems to shoot good between 3.600 and 3.68. She'll be headed to the high country of Idaho in early October.

Randy

Very nice! It sounds like everything is working perfectly.
My new 300 win mag is getting the finishing touches on it now. I will be loading the 215's over h-1000 in RWS brass also. It is very encouraging to hear how yours is doing. Thanks for the update.
Jon

Very nice! It sounds like everything is working perfectly.
My new 300 win mag is getting the finishing touches on it now. I will be loading the 215's over h-1000 in RWS brass also. It is very encouraging to hear how yours is doing. Thanks for the update.
Jon

Jon, what is your build and when will it be finished?? Let me know what you think and I'd love to see some photos. Also, how are you on 215's----if you need some, I could spare a box or two.

Randy

Randy,
My build is off of a Savage 116 action with custom bolt handle and spiral fluted bolt, number 5 Benchmark barrel finished at 28" with 6 straight flutes, CSR mini magnum muscle brake, McMillan game scout stock, Ken Farrel 40 moa base, TPS rings, Leupold 6.5-20x50 with fine duplex. Would like to get a scope with a moa type reticle, but my so called budget build ran over budget:) My mag box will be right at 3.7 and its throated to 3.65, if I remember correctly. Gunsmith called at 0730 this morning so I ran over and picked it up. Hope to be breaking the barrel in later today. I plan on doing a write up on it after a start working up loads. Thanks for the offer on the 215's, but I should be OK for a little while.
Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.