Introducing "Checkmate"

mtnwrunner

She started out as a 340 weatherby accumark, left hand, of course. But since I could not get it to shoot better than an inch and the fact that I already have a 338 ultra and a 338 edge, I decided to turn her into a 300 winny. After some consultation with "The Broz," this is what she ended up to be and designed from the ground up to shoot a 215 berger. .
-----300 win mag built on a 340 accumark platform
-----28" broughton 5c 4.1 contour barrel
-----Terry Miller muzzlebrake
-----timney trigger set to a pound
-----murphy precision 20 moa rail
-----nightforce 5.5 x 22 moar 50mm
-----flatline ops level
-----all gunsmithing done by Terry Miller of Twin Falls, Idaho.
Now, the really nice feature of going from a 340 to a win mag is that I can load the win mag with a 215 berger to 3.720 and still fit in the magazine with just the boat tail into the powder area.
Today was the first day in shooting the girl and she has some promise. I shot a total of 5 groups--15 rounds--and managed to get it under half moa. Best group was 73 grains H1000, rws brass, fed 215M, COAL 3.640. I could not chrony as my *** CED would not work. That magneto may be on the horizon...........
I have always wanted to name a rifle after my previous units motto/sniper patch.
Checkmate---the end.

Randy

Attachments

• winny 008.JPG
    winny 008.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 148
  • winny 012.JPG
    winny 012.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 92
  • winny 009.JPG
    winny 009.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 96
  • winny 011.JPG
    winny 011.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 109
  • winny 014.JPG
    winny 014.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 108
  • checkmate 009.JPG
    checkmate 009.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 96
I can see you have a start to a great relationship with this rifle. It is an awesome build and I bet your love only grows for her. There are few things a good 300 win will not do.

Jeff

Very nice build! It looks like it will be fun to shoot. Let us know what your velocity is if you get a chronograph. I'm building a 300 win and will be using RWS brass also.
Jon

Very nice build! It looks like it will be fun to shoot. Let us know what your velocity is if you get a chronograph. I'm building a 300 win and will be using RWS brass also.
Jon

Jon, I went with a buddy of mine yesterday and she was shooting 2830 using 74 grains of H1000, 215 berger. That load was at an inch at 200 yards.

Randy

Randy,

Super nifty rig!

As Broz says there's not much the 300 Winny won't do.

Checkmate, eh? You must be some kinda bad dude. :)

If it ever cools down I'm headed panther creek way to do some woofnbear scouting.

Maybe I otta drop over Carey way and chew the fat.

I seem to have waited a couple of years too long for that Vortec thing.:rolleyes:

My heart's in it but the liver sure isn't :D

Randy,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is shooting well. Have you had any pressure signs yet?
Jon

Jon, at 74 grains of H1000, there is just a slight bit of primer cratering. Just slight and that's the only sign so far. I've never been a speed freak and will take accuracy anyday so I'm fairly certain my load will be somewhere around 73 to 75 grains or so.

Randy

Hats off to a fellow south paw.

How's that WBY stock treating you? I always thought they looked funky but I've never used one. The long mag box sure should make it nice; any particular reason you chose the 215 over the 230?

Thanks for the pics!

t

Hats off to a fellow south paw.

How's that WBY stock treating you? I always thought they looked funky but I've never used one. The long mag box sure should make it nice; any particular reason you chose the 215 over the 230?

Thanks for the pics!

t

The weatherby stock fits and shoots great for me. I chose the 215 based on the accuracy, success and results that a lot of shooters are reporting. And the fact that it just looks cool.........:D

Randy

Randy,
Just wondering how the new rifle is shooting? Where did you end up with charge, seating depth, and velocity.
Thanks,
Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.