"Checkmate" has arrived back home......

I hope you have had many apprentices.
Outstanding craftsmanship.

Funny you should say that about apprentices... I had a conversation with a master stockmaker/engraver this week about apprentices. I truly aspire to his level of work. He does not have any apprentices, which surprised the heck out of me. I don't have any either, but I'm not at his level. I've had a few guys want to learn my bedding process, and offered to show them, but they never followed through.
I've concluded that there is little interest in learning this trade.

Funny you should say that about apprentices... I had a conversation with a master stockmaker/engraver this week about apprentices. I truly aspire to his level of work. He does not have any apprentices, which surprised the heck out of me. I don't have any either, but I'm not at his level. I've had a few guys want to learn my bedding process, and offered to show them, but they never followed through.
I wish I lived in PA and had the time.

I guess that will be good for the few that do learn it, and learn it well.

I think that sometimes the stars just have to align, Joel. There may be several people who have seen your work that would put the time into learning how you do what you do. Unfortunately, time, distance, work, family, and anything else that has to do with Darwins rule get in the way. I would not hang my hat on the thought of little interest, just all of the other factors of life.

Beautiful stock by the way :) That is true art

I guess that will be good for the few that do learn it, and learn it well.

I think that sometimes the stars just have to align, Joel. There may be several people who have seen your work that would put the time into learning how you do what you do. Unfortunately, time, distance, work, family, and anything else that has to do with Darwins rule get in the way. I would not hang my hat on the thought of little interest, just all of the other factors of life.

Beautiful stock by the way :) That is true art

In retrospect, I believe you are exactly right. I look back on my life, and I realize that there are many opportunities that I passed on for those exact reasons.

Congrats Randy and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I totally agree with all the deserving compliments to Joel and all his masterpieces like the Checkmate.

Always enjoyed seeing his masterful creations while drooling. :):Dgun)

morning, any masterful art professionals requiring patience has no apprentices. the

masters have no patience for questions while the art is being accomplished. patience is

a skill that is not taught, patience is learning art by its self. schools r present to teach

gunsmithing. I for one noticed there r individuals on this site for contributions have

elevated to a status on criticizing others!! maybe the contributions to this site is

more important than the apprentices that participate on this site!!

WORMSlightbulb

Looks Great!!!!!!!! Glad to meet another Weatherby LH " Woody" Lover. I to fell in love with a stock that I found. Took many hours of sanding & fitting to get it to where it looked as I wanted it. Did a Linseed Oil finish the topped it with Renaissance wax. Did my .240 Bee. Enjoy your beautiful rifle. Griz

Attachments

• e7a8f219f9c621ece641b93443ba5cc7.jpg
    e7a8f219f9c621ece641b93443ba5cc7.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20160508_151817893.jpg
    IMG_20160508_151817893.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.