Intro and a question

Beautiful Pictures. It looks like the kind of place grazing animals and birds would like. It looks like a great country to just roam the country side with a couple dogs as companions.

I probably had a few ancestors who killed a roebuck or two in Scotland before 1800 I think.

I live in Western Washington where we have Black Tail deer. I used to hunt hard all season and killed many. Really, really good eating.

We also have Roosevelt Elk in my area. Good eating too.

The majority of the deer and elk I killed with a 308 shooting 180 grain Nossler Partitions. The distances were mostly within 100 yards. I killed deer with some long shots near Mt. St. Helens where it was more open. I used Winchester 748 Powder mostly. It was good for a short barreled pump rifle. Also IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 if I remember right.

If Ramshot is available to you, RAMSHOT X-TERMINATOR, TAC and WILDBOAR (quickest to slowest) would be similar burn rates to Winchester Ball 748 it looks like.

Last edited:
Mike,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, Brandon, UK from 2000-2003 and enjoyed my visits of Scotland; beautiful country and nice people. Hope to get back there someday and hopefully get to hunt.

Not sure if you can get them there but the H4831SC is my go to powder for most of my reloading needs.

Good luck!

Ed

Mike,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, Brandon, UK from 2000-2003 and enjoyed my visits of Scotland; beautiful country and nice people. Hope to get back there someday and hopefully get to hunt.

Not sure if you can get them there but the H4831SC is my go to powder for most of my reloading needs.

Good luck!

Ed

Feenix, what bullet in your .308 with H4831SC? Never loaded .308, but my inlaw just won a new Remington and purchased 100 pcs of Lapua brass. I have Varget and the H4831SC, 210M primers and looking for a good bullet (perhaps a Berger since I have several weights). Thanks

Feenix, what bullet in your .308 with H4831SC? Never loaded .308, but my inlaw just won a new Remington and purchased 100 pcs of Lapua brass. I have Varget and the H4831SC, 210M primers and looking for a good bullet (perhaps a Berger since I have several weights). Thanks

It was 150 NAB for a friend's .308 Win. I do not remember the exact load but IIRC, it was in the mid 40s. I only loaded 20 to establish a baseline for him to try and he was happy with it when he harvested antelope and WT doe a few years ago.

It was 150 NAB for a friend's .308 Win. I do not remember the exact load but IIRC, it was in the mid 40s. I only loaded 20 to establish a baseline for him to try and he was happy with it when he harvested antelope and WT doe a few years ago.

Feenix, thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.