Installing a Tactical Knob on Remington 700

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by hosboss2002, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hosboss2002

hosboss2002 Member

How hard is it to install a tactical knob on a Remington 700?
    Can a person do it own there own if they have access to a machine shop, or do you recommend a gunsmith.

Feedback is much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

3. Supertrucker

Supertrucker Well-Known Member

To me it's well worth the $95 to have someone else do it.

4. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

It depends on how familiar you are with machining. I used set them up in the mill and a boring head and turned the knob down, then threaded it with a die. I now have a fixture that holds them in the lathe and I single point thread the end. Much faster, easier and nicer looking than the mill but the fixture took some time to get right. I've seen a few guys who have use a bench grinder to grind the original knob down then ran a tap on it. The threads might not end up perfectly straight but it will work. But if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself give me a call I'd be glad to put a knob on for you.

5. hosboss2002

hosboss2002 Member

Thankyou to everyone for your fast and great feedback, I am going to buy the knob off of ebay and do it myself. I actually am going to have the machinist at my work do it, I have seen him do amazing things with metal, this should be a breeze for him.

Thanks again

6. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

i plan to do this myself also, but i am also going to build the knob......any suggestions on what to start with? would you use aluminum or steel? AJ

7. Kevin Cram

Either will work just fine, alluminum is easier to shaper and is lighter though. If you duracoat the handle afterwards you'll never no the difference between the two other than weight.

8. hosboss2002

hosboss2002 Member

I ended up doing my own it turned out very well I am very pleased. I used a hacksaw, file, grinder, and a 5/16" x 24 TPI die. took all of about an hour. I then shot it with a touch up of Flat Black paint.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. IDAHOHUNTER

IDAHOHUNTER Active Member

Looks good. Glad I told you about them.:D

10. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Its not that hard to do , I've done a couple with a rotary table on a mill , the setup I saw whent he bolt is chucked up in a jig and done on a lathe was realy nice and would be the best way in my oppinion.

If i might make a suggestion.

Spend $25 or so dollars for a threaded handel from PT&G , then send it to Nathan Dagley (308nate) and have him tig weld it to your bolt. This way you will have several differant knobs to choose from , your handel to bolt fusion will be ALOT stronger then the soldered fit and the bolt will be properly timed to the reciever further reducing the bolt lifting effort.

11. Kevin Cram

For using all hand tools you did a professional looking job. Congrats!!

12. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Just one Bandaid? :D Or were you embarrassed to show the rest of your fingers? :D

13. IDAHOHUNTER

IDAHOHUNTER Active Member

No bandaids. His hands are too soft from running the computer all day, don't let him fool you somebody else did that for him. :D

14. Spanners

Spanners Well-Known Member

Heres mine on a 308 Sendero - Stainless knob
    [​IMG]