Input on long range AR-15 build

TheBlackMambaXD

So i'm in the process of building a long range, varmint gun. So far this is what I've got. I'd like to shoot out to 800yds as a max. If you see anything wrong or a good change let me know. As of yet I just have the complete lower and stock.

Lower: Spikes Tactical lower w/ enhanced kit. It's Spikes Battle trigger has some creep.
Stock: Magpul ACS-L. I like it, real solid
Upper: RRA 20'' Predator Pursuit. 1:8 twist. Chromed BCG. RRA free float quad rail.
Scope: Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm. VMR-1 MOA reticle. Turrets in MOA

After all is said and done I would like to replace trigger with a Geissele.

is this build capable of reaching out to 800yds

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I'm not on a high end budget, so don't recommend me drop 2k for a scope or some such thing.

I'm very partial to Bravo Co's 20 inch SS410 barrel. I have same trigger in mine. A few buddies built almost identical rifles to mine with 18 or 20 SS410's and love them as well. One actually spent more then the cost of the build with the BCM barrel for his (yote gun) from another maker. The one with the BCM is his fav and most accurate. Cats out of the bag who makes the BCM ss410 so one could also go straight to real manufacture.

I only know one person with the barrel you mentioned and they never got past break in with it befofe it became another safe queen. So I never got to see it used. But, when I was looking into barrels, I did read a lot of good about them.

Real world, NO this will not be an 800 yards CONSISTENT varmint rig. 20" barrel really does not give enough velocity and you really can't shoot bullets heaver than 77 grs through the magazine. Bullet drop and velocity drop and the least bit of wind and you really have problems. Plus you will not have the velocity left at 700 to 800 yards to get the bullet expansion you need. In the real world 700 to 800 yards on small varmints is really a long ways even with a really accurate specialty longrange bolt rifle with suitable caliber like one of the 6mm to 6.5s. I used to use a 223 Rem in a bolt rifle to groundhog hunt with 69 Sierra MK and when the yardage got to 600 or beyond hits became at best a 50/50 toss up. Moved up to 243 Winchester and things improved and got better with 25-06. I do have an AR 5.56 20" barrel that I groundhog hunt with for inside 500 yards that does pretty good. Just some of my experience.

So i'm in the process of building a long range, varmint gun. So far this is what I've got. I'd like to shoot out to 800yds as a max. If you see anything wrong or a good change let me know. As of yet I just have the complete lower and stock.

Lower: Spikes Tactical lower w/ enhanced kit. It's Spikes Battle trigger has some creep.
Stock: Magpul ACS-L. I like it, real solid
Upper: RRA 20'' Predator Pursuit. 1:8 twist. Chromed BCG. RRA free float quad rail.
Scope: Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm. VMR-1 MOA reticle. Turrets in MOA

After all is said and done I would like to replace trigger with a Geissele.

is this build capable of reaching out to 800yds

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I'm not on a high end budget, so don't recommend me drop 2k for a scope or some such thing.

IN MY Opinion- You should have a good 600 yard rifle if you use the 55 to 70 grain bullets.

The barrel is a little short to get Max velocity but will work well at 1 to 500 yards and can be stretched out to 600 if the conditions are favorable.

The 223s are very accurate if set up right,but with the small case capacity they are limited in poor/bad weather conditions.

1 in 8 twist, is a good twist rate, but I would recommend a 26" barrel if you still have an option.

Just an opinion

J E CUSTOM

If I can get shots at 600yds i can be content with that. I would like to stick with the RRA Predator. I don't really want to build an upper from scratch, and the RRA is a pretty good price. This rifle will also be carried more than 10yds so a 26'' barrel is not the best option. I could go with the RRA Varmiter 24''. Only problem is its a full bull, so It will weigh quite a bit more. I had hoped I could reach out and touch something at 800yds, but 600yds is good enough. Probably with a little practice and some luck I might get out to 700yds.

Thanks guys.

I have a stock RRA Varmint A4 with the 24" barrel, it is a bear to carry at around 17 lbs but 4 pounds of that is because I put lead in my stock to balance out that bull barrel otherwise I was aiming at my feet after a mag change

With some quick load development using 75gr Hornady BTHP running at roughly 2700 I was able to consistently make hits on milk jugs at 560 though terminal performance was rather lacking. I haven't gotten to test the load I finally worked up (77gr Berger OTM at 2760 with IMR 8208 XBR) at long range but seeing as it hovers around .5 MOA and smaller I see no reason why you couldn't get out to 600 yds though I wouldn't expect the terminal performance to be very good.

If you go with a powder like rl15 or h4895 you may be able to up the ante to 2800 fps with a 75 even in a 20" bbl.. My dpms classic is putting down 5 shot moa groups at 100yds with the 75 hdy (or priv.), cci mil-spec primers, and enough h4895 to hit 2800 fps. I still wouldn't use her on anything living at over 1/4 mile or so.

for clarity, I don't plan on trying to knock off a coyote at 600yds, but more for ringing steel. Though I don't see a reason why not, as I'm sure a non-hollow point .22lr going 900fps would kill a coyote then a .223 going a bit faster would work. at 600yds going about 1380fps with a federal fusion 62gr, if a 62gr would make it to 600yds.

for clarity, I don't plan on trying to knock off a coyote at 600yds, but more for ringing steel. Though I don't see a reason why not, as I'm sure a non-hollow point .22lr going 900fps would kill a coyote then a .223 going a bit faster would work. at 600yds going about 1380fps with a federal fusion 62gr, if a 62gr would make it to 600yds.
It's really more about flakiness in the wind and lower hit percentage than bigger/ higher bc bullets than anything else. I've run a number of mags through my rifle at longer ranges in relatively high winds (heck, I live on the northern plains-- when isn't it windy) and it becomes more luck than skill when you pass the 1/4 mile mark by any significant amount with an ar with 75'ish grain bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.