recamondations on long range ar load

timmyatnop

Hi everbody I was gona work up a load for my ar ,I have never loaded for it before .its got a .1-9 twist with heavy barrel. Just gona shoot coyotes bobcats and fox. Don't really know how far I can streach it out ,but wanna try any long range load if would be great.

I shoot an 8 twist 16" barrel and after some testing and some number crunching have developed 2 loads for this rifle. It has a Premier Reticule Leupold scope set up with dots for 200, 300, 400, 450, 500 yards. The first scope which the scope was built for is a molyed 69 gr Sierra at 2800fps and the second is a molyed 55 gr Ballistic Tip at 3000 fps . Both work with the recticule in the scope. Wind pushes the 55 around more but is a better killing bullet. Longest coyote with this rifle is with the 55 at 540 yards.

I use VN N-135 with the molyed B-Tip in LC cases and REM 7.5 primer. For bare bullets I would start at 24 gr and move up about .3 at a time till you get a good load.

Thanks a lot going to go buy a die today, will a fl sizing die work ok, any ideas on what brand of die ,rcbs or should i get a redding comp die ,any recommendation on a good strait die,Mabey i better not shoot the 69 sierras or have people had good luck with them killing coyotes.Does anybody have any good ideas with a heaver bullet that the 1-9 will stabilize,that has a higher bc and will lay the SMACKITH DOWN!!!,on some critters.Nosler partion ok or not ?Mabey a max if they make it in 22 cal,?sierra match king ?Any experiences that you guy have had with these bullets would be great.:)

Well the 1/9 twist is going to limit you to around 70grainers or less. If you had the 1/8 or 1/7.5 you could handle 80-90grainers and take your AR out to 1Kyds.

55grainers is most likely what your barrel will like, and be plenty for Yoties. Work up your load for accuracy, use good bullets, and good powder.

You could have one of those barrels that will handle heavy bullets, you won't know 'till you try them.

Ok thanks 70 grainers or less,but try heavier bullets and see if gun will shoot them. What is the best temperature stable powder to use in this caliber? gun)

Hi everbody I was gona work up a load for my ar ,I have never loaded for it before .its got a .1-9 twist with heavy barrel. Just gona shoot coyotes bobcats and fox. Don't really know how far I can streach it out ,but wanna try any long range load if would be great.

> While I was typing away, forgot you said you never loaded for AR before.

I don't care what the manual says, crimping AR ammo isn't necessary. You might switch to a SB (small base) die for resizing to get more reliable chambering.

I use Ramshot Montana Brand's Exterminator for powder, a lot of guys are using the TAC. I recommend them they are clean burning, and I haven't cleaned more than the barrels, since switching to it. I just oil up the bolt and trigger, once in a while.

Thanks a lot going to go buy a die today, will a fl sizing die work ok, any ideas on what brand of die ,rcbs or should i get a redding comp die ,any recommendation on a good strait die,Mabey i better not shoot the 69 sierras or have people had good luck with them killing coyotes.Does anybody have any good ideas with a heaver bullet that the 1-9 will stabilize,that has a higher bc and will lay the SMACKITH DOWN!!!,on some critters.Nosler partion ok or not ?Mabey a max if they make it in 22 cal,?sierra match king ?Any experiences that you guy have had with these bullets would be great.:)

> Are you shooting for furs? You should try the Varmit type, and match type bullets. More likely to enter, not exit, and you'll only have a pin hole on the going in side. Heavier bullets may pass through. Oh, and they tend to be more accurate at distance.

I guess iam kinda shooting for fur , I don,t want to much pelt damage , but also i guess when i see a fox or yote a ways off i wana be able to make the longer shot, I guess the longer shot is more important to me right now.Your thinking i should get a small base die then too?. Is the small base guna be just as accurate as the fl or comp die ?

I have loaded thousands of rounds with Forester dies and have no complaints. The little 16" AR is stupidly accurate with both bullets mentioned and my 18" shoots 77's .5 MOA.

I also like Ramshot powders, runs through the powder measure like water and give good velocities. Exterminator for 55's and TAC for 69's.

69's have no problems with coyotes, little pelt damage. Probably a better bullet for longer range dogs (over 400 yards).

Another bullet you might look at is the Sierra 65 gr SBT. A friend of mine has had good luck with it in 223 on coyotes.

Probably don't need a SB die. A 5.56 NATO chamber has looser dimensions than a 223. If you have a NATO chamber and use a SB die there will be more slop in the case to chamber fit. Picture a mouse turd in a violin case.

Last edited:
Ok think iam gona go with 69 gr match king ,tac or varget power, thinking about getting redding 3 piece die set,I guess iam gona give midway a call and see if they can set me up. Thanks for the help

+1 what 260 says.

Depends on how tight your chamber is. Most ARs are farely tight. You will be spending considerable time at the range with ladder tests, etc. try FL sizing. It's up to you to notice slight sticking where the bolt doesn't entirly close once in a while. whether you end up using an SB die. It's not a problem if you don't mind tapping your forward assist 1 in 10 or 1-20 rds.

260 is right about the mouse turd in the violin case.

Shooting at 300-500 yards one might think of a high BC bullet say the 65gr SGK, 69gr
and the 75gr bthp would be a good one Rl-15 seems to work well for many.....
Ever wonder why they built SB dies, most semi heat up and well brass does stick in
the chamber...At least I am not the only one who has had this problem before....
Using the 75grbthp out to 550yds so far have done a great job on chucks...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.