Input on 308 Build

sav300

I am looking for some input from the more experienced on a rifle I am looking to build next year. Primarily a deer rifle and I don't intend to get crazy with range. Due to the mirage where I hunt the max shot I would ever be presented with will be near 650yds.

Here is what I am looking at.

Rifle is a Remington 700SPS tactical in 308 20" barrel
Optic choices are a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14x50 or a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50

First off I am aware that alot of people do not like the Hogue stock, I myself do, but I can always upgrade to a McMillan or B&C. That being said what are your thoughts on the rifle choice? I was looking at that setup since I will on very seldom occasions shoot past 300yds and a more compact rifle is desired for the walking I do.

Secondly, optics for me have always been cheap. "Best" I personally have ever had was a Millette and having the opportunity to finally get some very good glass has presented itself to me. What input do you have on the two brands? Would I be better off with a 3-15 on the zeiss or take advantage of the extra zoom? I don't typically shoot on the lower power anyways.

I am looking for any advice, reconsideration, or personal experience anyone has to offer before I start spend money on this. Now fire away! gun)

I hunt with a Reminton 700 LTR in .308. I load Hornady 208 Amax in it. With the 20" barrel I am gettin 2400 fps. It has an HS stock. The 308 is great. If you don't use lower power on your scope I would suggest a 10X super sniper from SWFA; that is what I have on my LTR. If you don't mind the Hogue, I would just see how it shoots. The problem is it probably doesn't have aluminum pillars in it, which is what helps with accuracy. You get much better long range accuracy if you load for it.

I hunt with a Reminton 700 LTR in .308. I load Hornady 208 Amax in it. With the 20" barrel I am gettin 2400 fps. It has an HS stock. The 308 is great. If you don't use lower power on your scope I would suggest a 10X super sniper from SWFA; that is what I have on my LTR. If you don't mind the Hogue, I would just see how it shoots. The problem is it probably doesn't have aluminum pillars in it, which is what helps with accuracy. You get much better long range accuracy if you load for it.

I had an ltr for awhile and I am still regretting the sale of it. Anyway another option that might be considered for hunting purposes as well as a little target shooting would be Savage Arms . Nice lightweight rifle that wont hurt the budget too bad plus you can switch barrels in the future if you desire. If you have the tools you can switch them yourself.

I say go with the Zeiss 5-25x50 or a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50, and you'll be set for close or longer distances. And the SPS Tac should be a good rifle. I almost bought one back in 2010, but they had a 5R Milspec, so I went that route instead.

Also, I'd lock it down with some good rings and a good base. I prefer either TPS TSR or Seekins Precision rings, and EGW HD bases. For inside of 650 yards, you should be fine with a 0 MOA base.

I say go with the Zeiss 5-25x50 or a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50, and you'll be set for close or longer distances. And the SPS Tac should be a good rifle. I almost bought one back in 2010, but they had a 5R Milspec, so I went that route instead.

Also, I'd lock it down with some good rings and a good base. I prefer either TPS TSR or Seekins Precision rings, and EGW HD bases. For inside of 650 yards, you should be fine with a 0 MOA base.

+1.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.