Intro and 6.8 Western Build Input

If you are going to rebarrel....why not stay with the 270 WSM and specify faster twist rate barrel and extra throat if needed?

You will have more case capacity...

270 WSM case = 78.5 gr. water
6.8 Western case = 75.1 gr. water

270 WSM brass is made by Nosler, Norma, Hornady, Winchester, and Bertram right off the top of my head. The Bertram shows in stock on their site. Or, you would neck down 300 WSM ADG brass....
I agree this would be interesting but this would require reloading to load the WSM with the heavier bullets and I'm not a reloader, so to me, the 6.8W is kinda achieving the same thing with a few choices of factory loaded ammo.

I've read a few things about how it's fitting between the other comparable 6.5 and 7mm cartridges and Somewhat filling both roles in one package, seems kinda cool to me and at some point it has to catch on and get more options around the industry. Only been on the market for 2 years, hasn't had enough time to catch hold.

Again, I'm odd, 6.5/7/300 PRC would be easier to roll with but that's just not how I am. Lol

I am not sure if you are stuck on .277", but dropping down to .264" or moving up to .284" would open about 20x more options.
Also, 6.8 Western never really took off. I would be looking at alternative cartridge choices for brass options alone. 6.5SAUM or 7SAUM would be at the top of my list.

There are also the Sherman lines. 6.5SS, 270SS, 7SS.
Not really stuck but I've got a 1963 R700 264win mag that was my great grandfathers, I don't shoot it a lot but kinda has my 6.5 itch scratched.

6.8 is something new and different. Kinda one of those deals where you get with a group of people and they all pull out their popular stuff and you pull out something nobody knows anything about. I'm usually the guy that has something odd like that. Plus there's some Factory ammo available, I don't care to reload. And I've found some places that are manufacturing ammo for it at a reasonable price and it's actually all cheaper than the 270WSM factory ammo. Not sure why it got so expensive but $70-$90 a box is a tad bit ignernt to me

Any factory rifles I've had rebarreled were all re-barreled by them.
I have one rifle they've done 2x in the last 15 years and it's accurate, doesn't require much work to get it to shoot.
I'm happy with their work

I have had excellent accuracy with 6.8W factory loads - at least 165 ablr and 175 tgk. Choice ammunition loads 6.8W as well with some additional bullets like 155 lrx, 170 btip, and 170 berger eol. Not tried them but guys on fb groups like them. Some good stuff out there for 6.8W if dont handload

Lou

Well if you like weird and don't mind a big of orphan or sporadic orphan cartridges, the 6.8 western fits the bill. Dunno if it will outlive the 30tc, 300 rcm, or similar cartridges... doubtful but it might.