6.8 Western or 300WSM

I saw a used Remington xtr? 700 made in 1989 at a gun shop for sale, had some slots in barrel towards the end as some sort of recoil reducer. 24" barrel. 300 weatherby mag. In good shape stock seemed up graded. 475.00 is that a good price? Sorry I don't know how or where to start a new thread,
The XTR is a short lived version Winchester Model 70. It was when they decided to go cheap and quit producing the CRF model because it cost a few more bucks to produce due to the extra machine time. Fortunately it quickly fizzled.

Don't think Remington ever used that designation for any of their rifles.

I saw a used Remington xtr? 700 made in 1989 at a gun shop for sale, had some slots in barrel towards the end as some sort of recoil reducer. 24" barrel. 300 weatherby mag. In good shape stock seemed up graded. 475.00 is that a good price? Sorry I don't know how or where to start a new thread,
Depends on your purposes. If it's a M700 and isn't burned up, *few big 30's ever get shot out* I wouldn't be afraid of it.

For that kind of money though it's cheap enough to buy just to build off of for a custom/semi custom in another caliber.

I am a big fan of the .30 cal; I would take the .300 WSM over 6.8 Western. A factory .270 WSM ammo loaded with a 150 Berger VLD from HSM (3024 FPS/3047 FT-LBS) is no slouch - at my altitude (3300'), zeroed at 200Y, it's an 800Y (1877 FPS/1173 FT-LBS) deer rifle.

I am a big fan of the .30 cal; I would take the .300 WSM over 6.8 Western. A factory .270 WSM ammo loaded with a 150 Berger VLD from HSM (3024 FPS/3047 FT-LBS) is no slouch - at my altitude (3300'), zeroed at 200Y, it's an 800Y (1877 FPS/1173 FT-LBS) deer rifle.
In the continetal US for a "do all rifle" especially if recoil is an issue, it's awfully hard to beat the 7mm's and 300's.

Even a Rum or 30-378 can be tamed down a whole lot for recoil sensitive people if it's set up right.

If it is in pretty good condition, probably a good deal. If those slots are sort of a trapezoid shape, it was likely Magnaported.
Which unfortunately effectively shortens your barrel and while doing little to reduce recoil or muzze flip makes them horribly loud in a really sharp, painful sort of way not to mention blinding you in low light.

We've come oohh so far since that era with muzzle brakes that actually work, some of which won't kill your ears while you're at it.

Magnaports aren't the worst but, yes there are better solutions today.

Personally, I prefer a suppressor generally but, they do add length which can become cumbersome.

Magnaports aren't the worst but, yes there are better solutions today.

Personally, I prefer a suppressor generally but, they do add length which can become cumbersome.
I've shot pretty much every style brake made in the last 40 years at one time or another along with several magnaported rifles.

By far, the Magnaport is the worst of all of them. Very little reduction in flip or felt recoil, the loss essentially of four to six inches of barrel giving reduced speeds and the most ear splitting shriek of a muzzle bast I've ever hear. Some louder but none as punishing to the ears, even the big artillery stile slab brakes aren't as bad.

Then of course is the blinding in low light.

If the rifle is in good shape over all and it's what I wanted, I'd buy it in a heart beat at that price. The action and wood alone are worth more since he says it's an upgrade from stock.

Shoot it till it burns out or you can't stand it any more, and rebarrel. Float and pillar bed, do a good brake in and you should have a great rifle to last the rest of your life for well under 1500.00.

That's the low end you'll pay for a decent semi custom built on a 700 Clone action.

So on post 76 the OP states "the decision has been made". Since then, 86 posts, we've all contributed to completely derailing his thread. My apologies to the OP. "PRC talk, Sig Fury, Muzzle brakes, 😑".

So on post 76 the OP states "the decision has been made". Since then, 86 posts, we've all contributed to completely derailing his thread. My apologies to the OP. "PRC talk, Sig Fury, Muzzle brakes, 😑".
No, we've simply carried on a conversation beyond where he'd gotten all the info he needed to make a decision.

That isn't a derailment.

Thread splits and drifting always happens and happens a lot when you get past about 50 posts on the OT.

Recent Posts