Inherited rifles not fully sure what I have

Ash

Hey all, I inherited a few rifles from my late father and unfortunately due to living on opposite sides of the country I was not able to go hunting with him or learn the details about his setup.
What I have:
Rifle - Weatherby 30-378 MAG Mark V
Scope - Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range with a Boone and Crockett Big Game Reticle.
Ammo - WBY 30-378 MAG 280 grain

I know my dad and he would only buy top of the line stuff, but this was also his newest rifle so I am not sure how long he had it or how much he actually used it.

I have taken it out to the range a couple times now and realized I really have no idea what I am doing in terms of sighting it in. My friend and I sort of sighted it in with 200 grain rounds at 100yds but after some reading and whatnot realized I should be sighting it in at 2-300yds.

If anyone has any advice on rounds or sighting this rifle in it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I suppose both condolences and congratulations are in order.

That's a nice rifle/scope.

You can shoot at 100yds and set your zero for 100 or 200yds, or whatever distance you prefer.

The general recommendation is to practice shooting to actual distances beyond what you might encounter in a hunting situation to develop confidence in your drops/precision as well as a good understanding of your limits.

Since you had difficulty sighting it in at 100yds, I'd be inclined to try that on a few separate days just to make sure that the results are repeatable without having to fiddle with it.

If it's a hunting profile, you may want to give the barrel 3-5 minutes to cool between shots.

-- richard

Richard, couldnt have said it better myself. Also the more you shoot, you will get better and enjoy it a lot more. Dont get discouraged. Rome was not built in a day. You have to crawl before you walk.

Thanks guys!

I am not one to give up, I am hell bent on mastering this setup in time for hunting season this year! I just need to keep reading and digging through boxes to learn more about this scope and MOA settings.

SAVE YOUR BRASS!!! If you do not want it I will buy it off of you!!! For a Good Price!!

PM Me if you are interested.

The one thing you will notice with that rifle is Ammo Is Expensive. If you do not reload Please Send me your fired brass, I would love to have it and will make good use of it.

From your earlier posts I do not believe you reload, so watch out on pulling the trigger. This is not a gun where you can go to walmart and buy a box of 20 rounds for 20 bucks. 20 rounds costs over $130.00, closer to $150.00 depending on where you get it. (You can find it cheaper but from weatherby it is expensive, and cheaper means $120.00)

I would HIGHLY suggest getting something to learn the fundamentals of shooting before you shoot up all of that expensive ammo. You can grab a remington xps for $400, put a $100 scope on it and teach yourself how to shoot that way. Once you get it down take out the wby and learn to shoot it.

He's right. The brass alone is worth $3 each.
I'd highly recommend saving it and either a) learning how to reload, or b) finding someone you know who reloads.

Good luck!

Thanks, kc0pph. The first time I went and bought a box of shells I was blown away at the price and I am definitely conservative in my shooting. Even the cashier gave me a flaberghasted look and asked if I had the right ammo.
I do save all my brass and will learn how to reload soon as I also got a bunch of reloading equipment, plus I am sure I can find someone at the local range who could offer up some advice.
Thats a great idea to use my other rifle I got from him as well to learn the basics as it is only about $40 for a box of 20 shells. It is a:
Rifle - Parker-Hale .270
Scope - Leupold 4.5-14x40mm Long Range with Boone and Crocket Reticle.

And as MHO said, I should be learning how to crawl before I can walk.

Thanks again to all who have replied :)

if the 30-378 does not have a muzzle brake i would have one installed RIGHT now. and i would wear both muffs and puffs to shoot. of the markV line the accumark is the long range rifle. roninflag

I do have a muzzle brake for it, though I have heard it can reduce accuracy. That and I would not have hunting buddies for long if I were to use it in the field. It kicks hard but its no biggie. I will have to check to see if it is an accumark or not.

I do have a muzzle brake for it, though I have heard it can reduce accuracy. That and I would not have hunting buddies for long if I were to use it in the field. It kicks hard but its no biggie. I will have to check to see if it is an accumark or not.

A properly installed brake will almost ALWAYS improve accuracy.

You should all be wearing hearing protection regardless. So, why would your hunting buddies object?

-- richard

I have only one comment. The OP says "ammo 30-378 280gr. I have never heard of a 30 cal 280 gr bullet. I assume this is supposed to be 180gr? If not please educate me.

By the way, from one who has gone through the same ordeal, my deepest condolences, and it does sound like he only got the top shelf stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.